As of then end of March, we have started receiving FAFSA data. We are currently working on getting offers ready and we are committed to sharing your financial aid offer as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

A grant is a form of free money given for higher education. It is financial aid from the federal government, state government, or UNK that is given to students with financial need. To be considered for grants, students must complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Most grants are only applicable to fall and spring semesters, but in some cases the Pell Grant may be applied to the summer semester (depending on eligibility). Most grants require students to be enrolled full-time (12+ credit hours). Only undergraduate, first bachelor's degree-seeking students can receive grants. Graduate, endorsement-seeking, or initial certification/transition to teaching students are not eligible to receive most grants (exception is the TEACH grant – see more information below). Grant funding is tentative each year based on funding availability.

All students are limited to a lifetime eligibility of Pell Grant, which is the equivalent of six full-time years. A student may view their eligibility online by logging into the website with their FSA ID. This website acts as a data system for all federal student aid and keeps track of lifetime Pell Grant usage and federal loan borrowing history from any institution.

See the chart below for an explanation of the different grants you may see on your financial aid offer:

Grant Name Undergraduate Graduate

Federal Pell Grant
Undergraduate grant from the Federal Government based on need.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant - (SEOG)
Undergraduate grant from the Federal Government based on need. The student must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant prior to receiving an SEOG award.

Nebraska Opportunity Grant - (NOG) The State of Nebraska provides funding for this grant. Eligible undergraduate students include those demonstrate financial need as identified by the current year FAFSA, are a Nebraska Resident, and those who maintain full-time enrollment.

Kearney Bound Grant - A need-based UNK grant for undergraduate students. Students must maintain full-time enrollment and be a part of the Kearney-bound program.

UNK Tuition Support - A need-based UNK grant for undergraduates that applies to tuition only. Students must maintain full-time enrollment.

UNK Grant - A need-based UNK grant for undergraduates. Students must maintain full-time enrollment.

Federal TEACH Grant - Grant assistance intended for students who agree to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years in schools that serve students from low-income families.