The Division of Research at the University of Nebraska at Kearney is here to serve in your academic endeavors. The offices of the division work to create an environment to foster your research and creative activity, helping you along the pathway toward tenure. We have programs for seed funding, scholarly releases, training, and collaboration. Additionally, we offer programming to highlight the incredible research and creative activity on our campus, fostering a community of scholars.

Student conducting research

Research Development

The Office of Research Development offers personal consultations to aid you in your research and creative activities. This includes internal funding through the Research Services Council (RSC), which offers seed money especially for projects potentially leading to external funding, projects that demonstrate the potential for publication or other appropriate forms of dissemination, and projects that involve students. Beyond funding, we are happy to provide consultations in regard to your scholarly trajectory and help to navigate the university system.


Paul Twigg

Sponsored Programs

The Office of Sponsored Programs is the university’s central office of grant administration. We are a partner to faculty and staff in their pursuit of external funding for research, creative activities, pedagogy, and service. We make the process of applying for funds (both internal and external) simple as possible. Our office also takes the administrative burden off of your shoulders by filling in application forms, drafting budgets, providing boiler plates, editing drafts, and ushering your project from conception to funding.

Students in class conducting an experiment

Research Integrity

UNK expects faculty and staff to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and University of Nebraska policies regarding the conduct of research and creative activities. It is further expected that individuals responsible for project management ensure all project personnel maintain professional standards of conduct regarding fiscal management and research ethics. Along with the Institutional Review Board and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, the Office of Research Compliance is happy to help with hazardous materials, select agents,  export controls, and any other facet of research compliance. 


Student conducting research

Research Engagement and Outreach

The Division of Research has numerous programs and avenues to ensure research on campus creates an impact beyond UNK’s walls and that our students have access to experiential learning opportunities grounded in research.


Students and faculty doing research


The UNK Institutional Network of Specialized Research Equipment (INSpRE) Core is a system-funded core facility designed to enable the sharing of UNK’s equipment on and beyond campus. Core services include autoclaving, microscopy, tissue identification, spectrometry, element analysis, metabolic analysis, cyber defense, and more.

Research Leadership

Travis Reynolds

Travis Reynolds

Interim Director of Sponsored Programs
(308) 865-8956

Sharon Obasi

Sharon Obasi

Director of Research Integrity
(308) 865-8225

Scott Darveau

Scott Darveau

Director of Research Services and INSpRE
(308) 865-8491