Nebraska Driver's License

This page contains helpful information for obtaining a Nebraska Identification Card, Nebraska Learners Permit, or a Nebraska Drivers License.

Nebraska Identification Card - a legal identification card you can obtain from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This is a card you can carry with you at all times so you have it in situations where you need to present some form of identification.  You can use this identification card instead of your passport.

Nebraska Learners Permit - If you do not know how to drive a car but are wanting to obtain a permit in order to learn, you would apply for the learners permit. You will be required to take a written test.  Please note that when you have a learners permit, you must only drive if you have a licensed driver with you who is 19 years old or older.

Nebraska Drivers License - This license gives you authorization to drive a motor vehicle without another licensed driver with you. If you are already a licensed driver in your home country, you can apply for the drivers license directly without obtaining the learners permit first. You will need to take a written test and a driving test. If you have a Nebraska learners permit, you will only need to take the driving test.

The  (DMV) is located in the Buffalo County Courthouse. They are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Take the following documents with you when you go to obtain your identification card, learners permit or drivers license:

  • If you have applied for, or are on an OPT, take your I-766 Employment Authorization Card first. If you do not have your card but have an I-797 with confirmation of approval, or change of status, then present this to the DMV official. 
  • If you are currently enrolled at UNK and do not have OPT, take your I-94 (Download at Present this document first.
  • Principal Address Verification - Two of any of the following:
    • UNK tuition statement
    • letter or statement from bank
    • envelope, box or postcard
    • correspondence
    • receipt
    • invoice dated within last 90 days
    • letter from International Student Services
  • Your address must be the same as your MyBlue Address.
  • Supporting documents:
    • Most recently issued I-20 or DS-2019
    • Passport - must be valid for 6 months out
    • Social Security Number (If you have a Social Security Card, you must present it.)

Important Links:

Nebraska Drivers Manual

Practice Test