How To Transfer to UNK (F-1 and J-1)

Students who want to transfer to UNK for undergraduate programs must complete the admission process PLUS the transfer process that best fits your situation:

  • Transfer process from Institution within the US to UNK (see process below)
  • Transfer process from Foreign Colleges and Universities to UNK (see process below)

The following is required for all transfer students:

  • Evaluation of international credentials for possible transfer of credit hours at the University of Nebraska Kearney (see process below)

Transfer from Institution within the US to UNK

Email for information regarding transfer and complete the F-1 & J-1 Transfer Verification Form.

Inform the school you are currently authorized to attend of your intention to transfer. Give your current International Student advisor the date you want to be “released” in the SEVIS system from your current school. If you are working on campus or have other obligations to your current school, you can not to be released until these steps are completed:

  1. Take the transfer form to your current school's international advisor to fill out and return to UNK.
  2. Submit official transcripts and a copy of the Form I-20 issued by your current university and send to the UNK Admissions Office with the application requirements from the MyBlue checklist. Additionally, you must submit a current financial statement, copy of passport visa page, and a copy of your I-94 card.
  3. After you complete the admissions process you will receive the official Admission Letter from the UNK Admissions Office which must be presented to your current institution's Designated School Official for release of your SEVIS record. Upon arrival at UNK, take your Admission Letter and all your immigration documents to the International Student Services Office in Welch Hall to complete the transfer process in SEVIS. Bring all immigration documents (valid passport with visa, previous I-20s, and I-94 card) for processing.
  4. Enroll at UNK in the first term after leaving your previous school. You must be enrolled at UNK as a full-time student each consecutive semester (except for summer) until you complete your degree. Undergraduates must be enrolled for 12 credit hours a semester and graduates must be enrolled for 9 credit hours a semester.

Transfer from Foreign Universities and Colleges to UNK

Students who attended a foreign university or college and who wish to have their credits considered for transfer to UNK, must provide to the UNK Office of Student Records and Registration:

  1. An official transcript from the institution reflecting all courses attempted and grades received.
  2. A professional credential evaluation completed by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

    See for a complete list of member agencies or contact the Office of Records and Registration for an approved list.
  3. Complete course descriptions for each course to be considered for transfer.
  4. Other information regarding previous educational experience, as requested.

The Office of Student Records and Registration will work with appropriate academic departments to evaluate credits for transfer when all documentation has been submitted. Evaluations will only be done for students who have been fully admitted into a degree seeking program at UNK.

Evaluation of international credentials for possible transfer of credit hours at the University of Nebraska Kearney

The UNK Office of Student Records and Registration works with international students who have previous university-level coursework they wish to transfer to UNK. In order to begin the transfer process and have the credit considered for approval, the student must provide an evaluation from a professional evaluation agency. SRR still needs to have an official transcript but having an evaluation from an approved agency allows them to focus on applying the credits to the UNK program and the whole process can be completed much sooner.

Due to the extensive time required to complete a full evaluation, SRR does not provide credit evaluations to students until they have been accepted for admission to UNK. With a completed professional credential evaluation however, SRR can review the findings and send you a evaluation summary of what you can expect to receive in transfer credits at UNK within a couple weeks. A full evaluation may require the student to provide course descriptions in English.

SRR accepts evaluations from any of the NACES approved agencies. Please check the following website for a list of approved evaluation agencies (select Current Members link). You will also find contact information at this website for all of the approved agencies.

The following agencies are those we would recommend:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070 - Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Phone: 414-289-3400 Fax: 414-289-3411
email: /

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 745 -Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745
Phone: 800-937-3895 Fax: 212-966-6395
email: /

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Phone: 310-258-9451 Fax: 310-342-7086
email: /