Department of Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry at University of Nebraska Kearney is committed to be a premiere undergraduate chemistry program that prepares its students for success in their academic, professional, or industrial careers. Our vision is to achieve distinction through excellence in teaching, high-quality research experiences, and engagement in the community and profession, focusing on the development of our students.
We offer high-quality undergraduate programs of study that provide our students with the background necessary to work as professional chemists or to prepare for graduate or professional school. Chemistry is a "hands-on" science, and we place an emphasis on providing students with the best laboratory experience possible through access to state-of-the-art equipment and participation in active undergraduate research programs.
UNK Faculty and Students Give Thirteen Presentations at the 48th ACS (Fall, 2013 - Oct 16 to 19) Midwest Regional Meeting in Springfield, MO
- “ Excimer-monomer Switch: A New Method for Selective Measurement of Fluoride” Qiao Song, Dr. Haishi Cao
- “Cooperative catalysis using Lewis acids and NHCs in biodiesel synthesis,” Hector Palencia
- "g-Cyclodextrin mediated cross-photocycloaddition of alkenes in the solid-state" Aspen R Clements, Mahesh Pattabiraman
- "Students develop an inquiry-based experiment for the biochemistry teaching laboratory" Tara E. Bjorklund, Emily P. Edwards, Amanda M. Glass
- “Investigations into the individual nickel binding sites of the metallochaperone SlyD" Amanda M. Glass, Zachary R. Porter
- "Characterization and engineering of a more stable ascorbate peroxidase from Panicum virgatum L" Jayne McGovern, Frank A Kovacs, Paul Twigg
- "Comparing nickel binding in a metal binding protein with and without attached His6 tag" Zachary R. Porter, Amanda M. Glass
- "Kinetics of gold nanoparticle synthesis monitored by Raman spectroscopy" Bethany A. Lueck, Christopher L. Exstrom, Scott A. Darveau
- "Synthesis and mecanistic studies of new N-heterocyclic carbenes as organocatalysts" Murbach D Reed, Hector Palencia
- "A well-defined NHC-Pd[Allyl] complex for the Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling of aryl chlorides and bromides" Hector Palencia, Noah C. Broekemier, Noland W. Broekemier, Randall T. Short
- “A Novel Fluorescent Approach for Detection of Fluoride in Aqueous Media with High Affinity” Angela Bamseberger, Haishi Cao
- "Development of fluoride sensor based on desilylation reaction" Lingyun Yang, Dr. Haishi Cao
- "Effect of the structure of N-heterocyclic carbenes on their catalytic activity as organocatalysts" Noah C Broekemier, Assistant Professor Hector Palencia
News @ UNK-Chemistry
Departmental Assessment Report
The Departmental Assessment Report describes the success of the department in producing positive student outcomes. The General Studies (GS) Report describes how well our courses meet GS objectives.
Mission | Plan | Reports | Assessment Instruments