Select Agents, Controlled Substances, Hazardous Materials, and Material Transfers

Some biological agents and toxins are capable of causing substantial harm to human, animal, or plant health and are high-risk agents for illegitimate use. Federal Agencies (USDA and CDC/HHS) maintain a list of such agents and toxins that must be managed and regulated appropriately.

Researchers considering work with any of these materials must first contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research to initiate the approval process, which will include security and containments assessments, permits, personnel security.

NIAID publishes a partial list of impacted agents, including the categorization of these agents.

Select Agent SOP

Controlled Substance SOP

Hazardous Materials Technician

Robin Harding

Material Transfer Agreements

Are contractual documents used for the acquisition of various research materials, including select agents.  The MTA defines the rights of the provider and the recipient with respect to the materials and any derivatives.  A Material Transfer Agreement is required both in bringing in and sending out materials and/or data to another institution or entity.  Material may vary, but occur in wide variety of disciplines including but not limited to chemistry, biology, computer science, engineering, and life sciences. 

Researchers needing to acquire materials from another institution for their research must first fill out the Incoming Material Transfer Agreement Request Form and submit to the Office of Research Compliance, to review and approve.  Once approved the Agreement will need to be submitted to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research to review and approve.