Academic Advising Information
Your center for Information and Advising regarding your Academic outlook on Social Work. Here you can find links to Study Plans, Course Descriptions, and Requirements for all facets of Social Work.
Role of Social Work Advisor
All students with a declared major in social work are required to work closely with their a social work advisor to accomplish the following:
- Ensure that General Studies and major requirements are taken in the right sequence.
- Meet CSWE Accreditation standards for student advisement.
- Meet UNK advisement requirements for students to meet with advisors prior to registration each semester.
- To enable advisor to lift advising flag, which would them permit students to register for classes.
- Guide the personal and professional development of students from college entry until graduation.
- Provide support and guidance for issues that may impact the academic performance and professional development of students.
- Make necessary referral to other university or community services that contribute to students’ well-being and development.
- Brainstorm volunteer opportunities during college career and professional opportunities following graduation.
- Assess the overall learning and academic performance of students through portfolio reviews.
- Provide professional references for employment and graduate school.
Per CSWE accreditation mandates, the Social Work Department at UNK does not grant academic credit for life experience or previous work experience.
UNK Catalog Description of Social Work Courses
Four-year Study Plan
Download Major Checklist Fall 2015
Senior Portfolio Guidelines Social Work requirement for graduation
Download Minor Checklist Fall 2015
General Studies Requirements
Please note that the courses approved for General Studies are being updated frequently. Therefore, please refer to the General Studies website.
PDF of General Studies Requirements
General Studies Checklist Fall 2014 (UNOFFICIAL)
The best source of information regarding Social Work courses and requirements for your Social Work degree is a Social Work Advisor. Get in contact here.