Observation experience is essential for students pursuing a health care career. Job shadowing allows one to preview professions of interest. Observation also allows one to explore a variety of career settings, such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, private clinics, and schools. Students can shadow virtually anywhere. You can make arrangements with any professional in your interest area.
Contact the professional, let them know you are a UNK student, and request time to shadow. It may take some time to contact health professionals and set up the shadowing experience so allow at least 1-2 weeks before you would like to actually begin shadowing.
Please read the information found in the tabs below carefully and adhere to dress codes, etiquette tips, and all procedures. Health professionals are very busy so please be respectful of their time and expertise.
Hints for Job Shadowing
Job shadowing allows you to preview an array of professions of your interest and explore a variety of career settings: hospital, rehabilitation center, private clinic, school, etc. Shadowing experience is expected by all professional programs and required by some.
Job Shadowing Information Packet
Job Shadowing Documents
Job Shadowing at CHI Health Good Samaritan
Steps to set up shadowing at CHI Health Good Samaritan.
- Paperwork is required for students to job shadow at CHI Health Good Samaritan. Forms can be picked up from the Health Sciences Office.
- Obtain a student information sheet and a shot verification form (Health Information Sheet). Take the shot form to Student Health to verify your shot records and ask for a copy of your immunization record. Important Note: A TB test within the past 12 months is required for you to shadow. A flu shot may also be required. The Health Information Sheet, including the shot verification form is not necessary for short-term shadowing under 12 hours total.
- Contact the department at the hospital directly to set up the shadowing experience. When you arrive for your first job shadowing experience, you will turn in the forms at that time.
Job Shadowing for College Credit
HSCI 125 - Orientation Classes: Shadowing for Credit
- You may receive one credit hour for your 35-40 hour shadowing experience by registering for HSCI 125 Orientation classes. Specific HSCI 125 sections exist for different professions. The course can be repeated in subsequent semesters for additional credit if another 35-40 hours of shadowing is completed.
- For students who would like to shadow a variety of professions for 40 hours and receive credit, a more general section of HSCI 125 is available titled “Orientation to Health Sciences”.
- Shadowing is extremely important, but receiving credit is not required.
- The shadowing experience can be done anywhere for credit (it does not need to be done in Kearney). An electronic permit must be obtained from the Shadowing Coordinator prior to enrollment in the course and the beginning of the shadowing experience.
- It is recommended to shadow a variety of settings and different professionals. Feel free to split the hours among several places.
- To receive credit, you must keep a detailed journal while shadowing utilizing Blackboard.
- You and each healthcare professional you shadow must fill out evaluation forms.
- The journal and the evaluations are turned in for grading at the end of the semester or summer.
- Visit with the Health Science Shadowing Coordinator to obtain the electronic permit and learn how the class must be completed.
- Register for the credit hour during fall, spring or summer. Please double check when you register to ensure that you appropriately registered for the correct course during the correct term.
- Copies of the evaluation forms can be found on Blackboard.