University of Nebraska Kearney

  • UNK Boulevard
  • Calvin T. Ryan Library
  • College of Education
  • Welcome to UNK

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to a Graduate program?

All of the University of Nebraska-Kearney applications are online.  Go to and click “Apply”.

What materials are required to apply?

Each department has its own unique evaluation process and most require additional items to supplement the basic materials required by the Office of Graduate Admissions.  These additional requirements are different for each department. To find out what items are required by your department, check your department's graduate program admission requirements summary.

When is the application deadline?

Most applications for admission should be completed according to the following deadlines: June 15 for fall semester, October 15 for spring and March 15 for summer. 

·         Two Exceptions are the Communication Disorders department  who accepts students only once per year into the fall semester.  Application deadline for this department is February 1. The History Department’s deadline is January 15 for the following fall term. 

What address do I send my official transcripts to UNK? (electronic/mail)

Official transcripts can be sent in the mail to:

Graduate Admissions
University of Nebraska at Kearney
2504 9th Avenue, FDHL Rm 2131
Kearney, NE  68849

Official electronic transcripts can be sent via email to:

What transcripts do you need and how do I request them?

UNK Graduate Admissions will need transcripts from every college you have taken classes at.  

Contact each college you have attended to request official transcripts to be sent to UNK Graduate Admissions.  The official transcripts must be sealed original transcripts to be accepted. 

How long will it take until I know if I am accepted or not accepted?

Graduate committees in each department decide who is admissible for their programs. These decisions are based on many factors from academic preparation to fit within the program. These factors can only be assessed during a thorough review of all application materials.

Each department has a Graduate Admissions Committee that decides whether a student will be accepted into their program. The frequency of committee meetings varies; contact your academic department for information regarding how long the process takes for acceptance.

How do I check the status of my application?

MyBLUE tells you the status of your application in the Office of Graduate Admissions and enables you to see which items required by Graduate Studies have not been received.  If MyBLUE indicates that your application has been forwarded to your academic department for review, Graduate Admissions is awaiting the department's recommendation.  For more information on the status of your application in the department during this phase, contact the department directly.

Can I defer my admission to a later term?

Requests must be received in writing; email and include first and last name, NU ID, and which term you would like to defer admission to. We will coordinate any deferment request with the academic program for final approval.

How do I cancel my application?

Requests must be received in writing; email and include first and last name, NU ID, and details of request.

How do I earn Nebraska residency?

To see if you might qualify for residency for tuition purposes, download the Residency Form and read the document carefully. If you wish to apply, submit the completed residency application and supporting materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Can you waive my application fee?


I already submitted the online application, how do I submit payment?

We accept payment in these forms: 

  • Credit card. To ensure secure and prompt processing service, choose the credit card option on the online application or contact Graduate Admissions at for a link. Our server is secure and your payment information will be protected. 
  • Check or money order. Payment must be in U.S. dollars and checks must be drawn on a U.S. bank. Make checks payable to "University of Nebraska-Kearney" and mail to: 
    • Graduate Admissions
      University of Nebraska at Kearney
      2504 9th Avenue, FDHL Rm 2131
      Kearney, NE  68849
  • Cash. Cash payments can be made only in person at the Office of Graduate Admissions. Please do not send cash by mail.

Do UNK Graduate programs accept transfer credit?

Acceptance of transfer credits for graduate courses completed at another institution is determined by the academic department.

What is Blackboard?

Blackboard is the online learning platform that UNK uses to offer online courses. Blackboard serves a variety of purposes, allowing professors to make announcements, post assignments, and interact with students. Students will use Blackboard to submit coursework, complete online tests, and interact with their classmates.

Are there scholarships available?

Graduate students must apply for all scholarships during the month of February. Information and applications are available on the financial aid webpage and must be submitted by March 1st.

How do I apply for a Graduate Assistantship?

Graduate Assistantships are awarded on a competitive basis to qualified graduate degree seeking students. They are designed to offer students supervised educational experiences at the graduate level. Interested students should visit the UNKemployment website.The website will list all open Graduate Assistantships, as well as provide instructions for completing the application process.

How many credits should I register for?

   Full-time enrollment for graduate students is 9 credit hours during fall and spring semesters and 6 credit hours during summer. 

·         Continuous full-time enrollment may also be required for certain kinds of financial aid and insurance coverage. Each situation is unique, so be sure to consider these when determining how many credits to take.

What if I need to change my course registrations?

During the open enrollment period, you can manage your course choices in MyBLUE. After open enrollment, the Registrar’s Office can assist with adjusting your schedule.  Telephone: 308-865-8527  Email: