Insurance Coverage


All property owned by the University is covered under a blanket property program that provides coverage at a replacement cost value.  On any property loss the department will pay a deductible of $2000.  Property losses should be reported to the Risk Manager.  Risk Management will administer property losses of under $500,000 and the property insurance carrier, working through the Risk Manager, will administer losses above the $500,000.


The University has a self insured comprehensive general liability program.

Automobile Coverage/Vehicle Accidents (University Vehicles)

The University has liability coverage on all University vehicles used for business.  For department owned vehicles there is an option to purchase full coverage for that vehicle with an extra charge to the department. For more information contact: 402-472-7766.

Workers Compensation

Workers’ Compensation covers all employees of the University, including student workers.

Personal Injury

The University does not carry AD&D Insurance on individuals who are not employees.  It is the responsibility of these individuals to carry their own medical insurance coverage.

Personal Property Damage

The University does not assume responsibility for personal or non-university owned property kept or stored in university facilities.

Student Travel Insurance

Student trip insurance provides secondary protection in the event of an accident.  All University of Nebraska, Kearney students are required to have student trip insurance when traveling outside of the city of Kearney.