Visa Information

Once you receive the admission package you must apply for a student visa in the United States embassy. A visa allows you to travel to the United States as far as the port of entry (airport or land border crossing) and ask the immigration officer to allow you to enter the country. Only the immigration officer has the authority to permit you to enter the United States. He or she decides how long you can stay for any particular visit. Immigration matters are the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

There are two categories of U.S. visas: immigrant and nonimmigrant.

Immigrant visas are for people who intend to live permanently in the U.S. Nonimmigrant visas are for people with permanent residence outside the U.S. but who wish to be in the U.S. on a temporary basis – for tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work or study.

How to get the visa?

Visit the United States Visas website for official information about U.S. visa policy and procedures. Use this site to learn about the visa application process, understand current requirements, and get updates on recent developments.

Before making an appointment to get a visa, visit your country's visa consular section of the U.S. Embassy's website and find out what documentation is required. In addition to the documents required, DO NOT FORGET TO BRING ALL OF THESE DOCUMENTS TO THE EMBASSY:

  1. Passport
  2. Form I-20
  3. Evidence of financial resources
  4. Evidence of student Status
  5. Paper receipt for the SEVIS fee, form I-797, and
  6. Name and contact information of your "Designated School Official"

10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa