Important Information

We want to make sure you have everything you need to reach your goals. Remember we are here to help you succeed.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance is a Department of Defense program. The program is not administered or monitored by the VA. Tuition Assistance rules vary by branch of service and even vary between different units within the same branch of service depending on whether the unit is active, reserve, or National Guard. Questions regarding Tuition Assistance, as well as the obtaining of application forms, should be directed to Veterans Services.

Nebraska National Guard

Air Force


Coast Guard


Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE is a new tool developed by the Department of Defense to allow Service members interested in using TA benefits to access essential information including average TA costs, course completion, graduation and estimated tuition and fee amounts for the 2,600+ approved schools eligible for TA. Click on the link for information about UNK.

Important Information

  • Tuition Assistance is only available for 16 credit hours during the federal calendar year (October 1 through September 30).
  • Students are not allowed to use both federal Tuition Assistance and Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 benefits.
  • The maximum Tuition Assistance coverage is $250 per credit hour.

Military Tuition Assistance is a U.S. Department of Defense program. Tuition Assistance rules vary by branch of service and even vary between different units within the same branch depending on whether the unit is active, reserve, or National Guard. Tuition Assistance funds are applied to tuition cost only.

Military Tuition Assistance Recipients

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire term for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws (officially or unofficially), the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) policy, UNK is required to return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through the 60% portion of the term for which the funds were provided. If a service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, UNK will work with the affected service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.


A student’s official withdrawal date is used to calculate the earned percentage of TA. In the event that a student fails to earn a passing grade in at least one class, s/he will be evaluated at the end of the term to determine if s/he withdrew unofficially (never attends or stopped attending class) by using the last date of attendance that is reported by the instructors when grades are submitted.
Once the withdraw date has been determined, UNK will recalculate a student’s TA eligibility based on the following formula:

Number of days completed / Total days of the course (start to end date) = Percent of TA earned

The amount of TA funding that is earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if a student completed 30% of the term, s/he earned 30% of the TA funds that s/he was originally scheduled to receive. The remainder of the unearned funds (70%) would be returned to the TA program. The student will then owe UNK the amount that was returned and may additionally owe the military branch. Once a student has attended at least 60% of the term for which TA funds were approved, the student is considered to have earned 100% of the TA funds. The student may be required to repay TA to their military branch also.

Military Credit

A maximum of 4 semester credit hours is awarded for Basic Training upon receipt of the official military transcript.

Additional semester credit hours may be awarded for additional military education. For more information see the American Council on Education Military Guide.

Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marine service members, reservists, guard, and veterans can obtain the Joint Services Transcript.

Air Force Active Duty, Guard and Reservists or retired or separated Air Force members may obtain their transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force.


An individual’s branch of service may offer the College Fund (also known as a “kicker”) as part of an enlistment or reenlistment contract, or for other reasons they determine. The College Fund is an additional amount of money that increases an individual’s basic monthly benefit and is included in his or her VA payment.

Each service branch (not VA) determines who receives the College Fund and the amount received. It may be necessary to send VA a copy of your College Fund contract to ensure the correct amount is added to your monthly benefit. Typically, College Fund contracts are found within your enlistment contract. Contact your military unit or the National Archives to get a copy.

Yellow Ribbon Program

UNK is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon program. The program is a part of the Post-9/11 GI Bill and applies to out of state students who are 100% eligible for the benefit. For eligible students, the Yellow Ribbon program covers the difference between in state tuition and out of state tuition, leaving no out of pocket cost for the student. For more information, contact Veterans Services or see

LB 109

In February 2015, the Nebraska Legislature passed a law mandating that veterans and their families that are enrolled in a public college or university or intend to be a Nebraska resident, within three years of separating, will be considered student residents.


eBenefits is a collaboration between the VA and the Department of Defense. It serves Veterans, Service members, Wounded Warriors, their family members, and their authorized caregivers. See more at