Transfer to UNK
Students thinking about transferring from one college or university to another often believe that it is a long and painful process. This is a myth that we dispel every day, at UNK, by providing comprehensive and highly personal guidance throughout each student's transfer process.
If you'd like to transfer to UNK, there are some general areas of information that you should become familiar with. All of these are covered in our General Transfer Information and Guidelines.
As a transfer student, you will utilize the same UNK application for admission as is used by first-time entering freshmen. You can access and complete our online application
and submit it electronically. Along with the application for admission, you must submit a $45 application fee, and have your high school transcripts and all college transcripts sent to our Office of Admissions. One of our admissions counselors will then contact you to guide you through the admission process.
For admission to the University of Nebraska at Kearney, transfer students must:
- Be a graduate of a regionally accredited high school or have completed the equivalent academic training (GED)
- Be in good standing at your previous institution(s) and have a 2.0 or above GPA. If you have completed 24 or more transferable semester hours from a regionally accredited collegiate institution following high school graduation, you are considered to have met the high school core course requirements that are required for admission. The Office of Records and Registration will determine the number of acceptable “transferable” credit hours from your previous college(s).
- If you have completed fewer than 24 semester hours of transferable coursework from a regionally accredited collegiate institution following high school graduation you must meet the high school core course requirements. These cover the areas of English (four years), math (three years), social studies (three years), foreign language (two years, same language), and an elective (one year).
Transfer applications should be submitted no later than four weeks prior to the beginning of the academic term for which application is being made. You can access and complete our online application
and submit it electronically.
It is important for a transfer student to know how much of their previous collegiate academic work will transfer to another institution. Our credit hour transfer policies
are broken down at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and include information for those who have served in the armed forces or attended foreign colleges and universities.
Transfer Day is a great opportunity to interact with current and incoming UNK students. At your Transfer Day, you will receive helpful information and advice on transitioning to UNK. Along with meeting an academic advisor and enrolling in your next semester’s courses, you will get connected with various essential tools and services including your new Student ID card and access to your UNK email account.
You can complete your reservation for Transfer Day online and submit it electronically later this Spring. Check-in time will begin at 8:30 AM with students completing advising and enrolling any time between 11:30-12:30 PM.
Transfer Dates are:
- Friday, April 22nd, 2016
- Thursday, May 19th, 2016
- Thursday, June 16th, 2016
- Thursday, July 21st, 2016
*Must be fully admitted to UNK before attending Transfer Day
The Office of Student Records and Registration
will provide comprehensive information for you as you consider transferring to UNK. If you have any further questions, please contact our Office of Admissions at 1-800-KEARNEY.