- About UNK
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff
Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology, 2004
M.Sc., Biochemistry, Jilin University (China), 1999
B.Sc., Biochemistry, Jilin University (China), 1995
Fluorescence sensing, Chemosensor, Molecular recognition and Detection of toxic ions and biological molecules.
2012-Present, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, UNK
2007-2012, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, UNK
My research program focuses on using synthetic methods to prepare organic molecules functionalized as analytical approaches to quantitatively measure small molecules with extremely low concentration in the nature on the basis of spectroscopic information. My research interest includes: 1) design novel sensing switches with high affinity and sensitivity to target molecules based on molecular recognition; 2) develop novel fluorescent molecules and understand their fluorescence features; 3) use designed sensing approaches to investigate the roles of important molecules in the biological systems; 4) use nanoparticles to improve the stability and permeability of fluorescence sensors for their biological applications.
10/27/2016 - Alexis Page, Aatiya Ahmad, Eunju Jang and Ting Ding gave two research presentations in ACS MWRM in Manhattan KS.
10/07/2016 - Gunwoo's paper is published in RSC Advances. Congratulation!
04/02/2016 - Aatiya Ahmad is awarded as INBRE Scholar in 2016. Congratulation!
28. Kim, Gǂ;. Jang, E.ǂ; Page, A.M.ǂ; Ding, T.ǂ; Carlson, K.A.; Cao, H.*, Investigation of a sensing approach on a rapid reduction of azide to selectively measure bioavailability of H2S, RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 95920-95924.
27. Bamesberger, A.ǂ; Kim, G.ǂ; Woo, Jǂ.; Cao, H.*, Reduction of nitro group on derivative of 1,8-naphthalimide for quantitative detection of hydrogen sulfide, J. Fluoresc., 2015, 25, 25-29.
26. Woo, J.ǂ; Kim, G.ǂ; Qintero, K.ǂ;Hanrahan, M.P.ǂ; Palencia. H.; Cao, H.*, Investigation of desilylation in the recognition mechanism to fluoride by a 1,8-naphthalimide derivative, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2014, 12, 8275-8279.
25. Song, Q. ǂ; Bamesberger, A. ǂ; Yang, L. ǂ; Houtwed, H. ǂ; Cao, H.*, Excimer-monomer switch: a reaction-based approach for selective detection of fluoride, Analyst, 2014, 139, 3588-3592. 24. Bamesbergera, A.ǂ; Schwartza, C.; Song, Q. ǂ; Han, W.; Wang, Z.; Cao, H.*, Rational design of a rapid fluorescent approach for detection of inorganic fluoride in MeCN/H2O: a new fluorescence switch based aryl-1,8-naphthalimide, New. J. Chem., 2014, 38, 884-888.
23.Yang, L. ǂ; Song, Q. ǂ; Damit-Og, K. ǂ; Cao, H.*, Synthesis and spectral investigation of a turn-on fluorescence sensor with high affinity to Cu2+, Sensor Actuat B-Chem., 2013, 176, 181-185.
22. Wang, J. ǂ; Yang, L. ǂ; Hou, C. ǂ; Cao, H.*, A new N-imidazol-1,8-naphthalimide based fluorescence sensor for fluoride detection, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, 6271-6274.
21. Hou, C. ǂ; Urbanec, A.M. ǂ; and Cao, H.*, A rapid Hg2+ sensor based on aza-15-crown-5 ether functionalized 1,8-naphthalimide Tetrahedron Lett., 2011, 4903-4905.
20. Hou, C. ǂ; Xiong, Y.; Fu, N.; Jacquot, C.C. ǂ; Squier, T.C.; and Cao, H.*, Turn-On ratiometric fluorescent sensor toward Pb(II) detection Tetrahedron Lett., 2011, 2692-2696.
19. Yang, Y. ǂ; Gou, X.; Blecha, J. ǂ; Cao, H.*, A highly selective pyrene based fluorescent sensor toward Hg2+ detection Tetrahedron Lett., 2010, 3422-3425.
18. Gou, X.; Cao, H.*, Undergraduate chemistry education in Chinese universities J. Chem. Educ.2010, 87 (6) 575-577.
Publication Prior to UNK
17. Cao, H.; Xiong, Y.; Wang, T.; Squier, T.C.; Mayer, M. U., A red cy3-based biarsenical fluorescent probe targeted to a complementary binding peptide J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2007, 129, 8672-8673, Highlighted in Nature, 2007, 448, July 5th, 4
16. Chen, B.; Cao, H.; Yan, P; Mayer, M.U.; Squier, T.C., Identification of an orthogonal peptide binding motif for biarsenical multiuse affinity probes Bioconjugate Chem., 2007, 1269-1265.
15. Cao, H.; Chen, B.; Squier, T.C.; Mayer, M.U., CrAsH: A biarsenical multi-use affinity probe with low non-specific fluorescence Chem. Commun. 2006, 2601-2603.
14. Cao, H.; Chang, V.; Hernandez, R.; Heagy, M.D., Matrix library screening of substituted N-Aryl-1,8-naphthalimides reveals new dual fluorescent dyes and unusually bright pyridine derivatives J. Org .Chem., 2005, 70, 4929-4934.
13. Cao, H.; McGill, T.; Heagy, M.D., Sustituent effects on monoboronic acid sensors for saccharides based on N -phenyl-1,8-naphthalenedicarboximides J. Org. Chem., 2004, 2959-2966.
12. Cao, H.; Heagy, M.D., Fluorescent chemosensors for carbohydrates: A decade’s worth of bright spies for saccharides in review J. Fluorescence, 2004, 569-584.
11. Geddes, CD.; Cao, H.; Gryczynski, I.; Gryczynski, Z.; Fang, J.; Lakowicz, J.R., Metalenhanced fluorescence (MEF) due to silver solloids on a planar surface: potential applications of indocyanine green to in vivo imaging J. Phys. Chem. A , 2003, 3443-3449.
10. Geddes, C.D.; Cao, H.; Lakowicz, J.R., Enhanced photostability of ICG in close proximity to gold colloids Spectrochimica Acta A, 2003, 2611-2617.
9. Sun, H.; Cao, H.; Luo, G., Preparation and property of palmitoyl modified SOD Chinese J. Bioprocess. Eng., 2003, 47-51.
8. Cao, H.; Diaz, D.I.; DiCesare, N.; Lakowicz, J.R., Heagy, M.D., Monoboronic acid sensor that displays anomalous fluorescence sensitivity to glucose Org. Lett., 2002, 1503-1505.
7. Liang, F.; Wu, Y.; Cao, H.; Guo, H.; Liu, L.; Sun, H.; Chen, W.; Liu, S., Chemical modification of human plasminogen Chem. J. Chinese Univ. 2001, 22(4) 577-580.
6. Xu, J.; Ma, J.; Xu, H.; Ma, Z.; Kong, X.; Cao, H.; Guo, H.; Liu, L., Separation and purification of pullulan and its function to protect polyphenol tea in green tea Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Jilinensis, 2001, 88-90.
5. Cao, H.; Sun, H.; Liang, F.; Guo, H.; Liu, L., Purification and identification of pulullan Chem. J. Chinese Univ. 1999, 20(12) 78-84.
4. Yang, F.; Guo, H.; Xu, H.; Cao, H.; Liu, L., Biochemical analyses of the thrombin-like enzyme product from the venom of agkistrodon halys ussuriensis emilianov Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Jilinensis, 1999, (2) 79-82.
3. Yang, F.; Xu, H.; Guo, H;, Cao, H.; Liu, L., Purification and quality control of thrombin-Like enzyme from venom of agkistrodon halys ussuriensis emilianov Chin. J. Biologicals, 1999, (12) 100-102.
2. Qiu, A.; Sun, H.; Zhong, H.; Liu, S.; Zhao, C.; Wu, Y.; Cao, H.; Liu, L., Purification and properties of human plasminogen Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Jilinensis, 1998, (3) 79-81.
1. Zhao, H.; Li, C.; Xue, Y.; Zhang, L.; Cao, H.; Guo, H.; Liu, L., Mutation and screening of high production strain of pullulan Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Jilinensis, 1998, (3) 75-78.
|Yang Yang||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2008-2009|
|Chen Hou||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2008-2012|
|Caitlin C Jacquot||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2009-2011|
|Alysha M Urbanec||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2009-2010|
|Junqi Wang||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2011-2013|
|Lingyun Yang||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2011-2013|
|Angela Bamesberger||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2011-2014|
|Kevanie Quintero||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2014-2015|
|Haley Houtwed||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2013-2015|
|Gunwoo Kim||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2014-2015|
|Sitong Liu||Undergraduate Reserach Fellowship||2015-2016|
|Aatiya Ahmad||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2015-2016|
|Eunju Jang||Undergraduate Research Fellowship||2015-2016|
|Yang Yang||Pepsi Experimential Fund||2008|
|Chen Hou||Pepsi Experimential Fund||2010|
|Lingyun Yang||Pepsi Experimential Fund||2013|
|Lingyun Yang||Undergraduate Travel Fund (ACS)||2012|
20. Houtwed, H.; Cao, H., Synthesis of a molecule to detect hydrogen sulfide, 29th Annual National Conference on Undergraduate Research, April 16-18, 2015, Spokane, WA
19. Kim, G.; Cao, H., Investigation the cleavage of Si-O bond in trimethylsilyl ether for quantitative measurement of fluoride, 249th ACS National Meeting, March 22 – 26, 2015, Denver, Colorado
18. Houtwed, H.; Cao, H., Reaction based approach for detection of fluoride, 49th ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, November 12-15, 2014, Columbia, MO
17. Yang, L.; Cao, H., Detecting fructose-6-phosphate by using near-IR fluorescence sensor, Nebraska Research and Innovation Conference, October 3, 2013, Omaha, NE
16. Yang, L.; Cao, H., Development of fluoride senor based on desilylation reaction, 48th ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, October 16-18, 2013, Springfield, MO
15. Bamesberger, A.; Cao, H., A novel fluorescent approach for detection of fluoride in aqueous media with high affinity, 48th ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, October 16-18, 2013, Springfield, MO
14. Song, Q.; Cao, H., Excimer-monomer Switch: A new method for selective measurement of fluoride, 48th ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, October 16-18, 2013, Springfield, MO
13. Wang, J.; Cao, H., Stabilization of internal charged transfer by intramolecular H-bond in N-Aryl-1,8-naphthalimides, 122nd The Nebraska Academy of Science Annual Meeting, April, 20, 2013, Lincoln, NE
12. Yang, L.; Cao, H., PET based chemosensor with fluorescence turn-on for detection of Cu2+, 47th ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, October 24-27, 2012, Omaha, NE
11. Bamesberge, A.; Song, Q.; Cao, H., Investigation of substituent effect on photophysical properties of 4-amino-N-aryl-1,8-naphthalimides, 47th ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, October 24-27, 2012, Omaha, NE
10. Chen, H.; Cao, H., A fluorescent sensor based on 1,8-naphthalimide for F- sensing. The Nebraska Academy of Science Annual Meeting, April 20, 2012, Lincoln, NE
9. Wang, J.; Yang, L.; Cao, H., Detecting Hg2+ using fluorescent nano-materials. Nebraska Research and Innovation Conference, September 27,2011, Omaha, NE
8. Hou, C.; Wang, J.; Cao. H., Developing a Novel Fluorescent Sensor Based on 1,8- naphthalimide for Fluoride Detection, 242nd ACS National Meeting, August 28 – September 1, 2011, Denver, CO
7. Wang, J.; Yang, L.; Hou, C.; Cao, H., Rapid Hg2+ Sensor Based on Crown Ether Functionalized 1,8-naphthalimide. 242nd ACS National Meeting, August 28 – September 1, 2011, Denver, CO
6. Hou, C.; Cao, H., Fluorescent Sensing for Heavy Metal Ions, Nebraska Academia Science Annual Meeting, April 15, 2011, Lincoln, NE
5. Jacquot, C.C.; Xiong, Y.; Hou, C.; Squier, T.C.; and Cao, H., Turn-On Ratiometric Fluorescent Sensor toward Pb(II) Detection. ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, October 27-30, 2010, Wichita, KS
4. Hou, C.; Yang. Y; Cao, H., Synthesize New Fluorescent Probes for Cell Imaging. ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, 2010, October 27-30, Wichita, KS
3. Hou, C.; Yang, Y.; Urbanec, A.M.; and Cao, H., Development of Fluorescent Sensor based on 4-Aza-15-Crown-5 Naphthalimide for Detection of Hg(II) Cation in Aqueous Media. ACS Middle West Regional Meeting, October 27-30, 2010, Wichita, KS
2. Yang, Y.; Blecha, J.P.; and Cao, H., Development of Fluorescent Sensor Based on Cyanine Dye for Hg2+ Detection. 237th American Chemical Society National Meeting, March 22-26, 2009, Salt Lake City, UT
1. Blecha, J.P.; Cao, H, A Novel Fluoresence Sensor for Mercury Ion. 43rd Midwest Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, October 8-11, 2008, Kearney, NE