First Year Program
The UNK First Year Program office develops and implements a coordinated program to foster the success of all first-year students through their transition to college. First Year Program works with many academic and student departments to offer opportunities for students to learn how to take responsibility for their own education, to develop a sense of belonging to the UNK community and develop Loper Pride.
The First Year Program engages and supports new students as they transition to UNK life through a network of resources, including social and academic programs.
Experiences that are offered to first year students include:
- New Student Enrollment & Transfer Student Day: New students register for classes and learn more about UNK with their families.
- Blue and Gold Welcome Week: Activities that encourage students to become familiar with academic opportunities and expectations and get involved in the UNK community.
- Loper Leader Application: Are you a current UNK student and want to help give our incoming students a great first weekend? Sign up to be a Blue Gold Welcome Week, Loper Leader!
- Freshman Seminar Course: One-hour credit course includes small group discussions, facilitates interaction with a peer mentor and various campus leaders, while also incorporating the use of technology to assist a First Year student's success at UNK.
- Success Series: Programming on campus to address issues that many students face during their introduction to college life. These programs are a partnership with campus experts covering topics such as how to communicate with your faculty, working with your academic advisor, finances and college life, time management and many other transition topics for first year students.