"Engage, Educate, Empower, Develop"
Effective October 25, 2011, the University of Nebraska Kearney has adopted new procedures involving violations of Sexual Harassment. These modifications are reflected as an addendum to the current UNK Sexual Harassment Policy (p. 42 of the 2012-2013 Student Handbook), and can be found here: Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault.
The Mission of the UNK Conduct program is to develop civic-minded students by holding students accountable for their behavior, to educate them about the consequences of their actions, and to protect the University's Faculty, Staff, Students, and property.
The Division of Student Affairs coordinates the student conduct process. This includes consulting with Faculty and Staff on matters of student behavior (including classroom disruption and academic integrity) updating the University Rules of Conduct, maintaining the conduct records database, training and advising conduct and appeals board members (faculty, staff and students), coordinating alcohol education seminars, responding to conduct records inquiries, and ensuring compliance with applicable laws.
Beliefs: The underlying beliefs that drive the educational and developmental process at UNK:
- The development of a positive community will lessen the number of seriousness of behavior problems
- Prevention of problems is preferable to reacting after problems occur
- Students will make mistakes and test limits; however, most students can be positive members of their community
- All students and staff members have rights and deserve respect
We help students to:
- Understand the purpose for community standards.
- Know how to bring their behavior into compliance with the community standards.
- Maturely accept accountability for his/her behavior.
- Clarify values as they are related to the behavior in question.
- Make more positive self-directed choices that will better enable him/her to assume adult roles.
- Consider the consequences of his/her behavior.
Ways we can serve you:
- One-on-one or group consulting on concerns of student behavior
- Explain policies
Policies and Resources
Our policies, as well as resources, can be found on the Student Handbook link below.
Student Code of Conduct (Full Document)
Student Code of Conduct Process