Accommodations, Contract Terms and Cancellations


The University of Nebraska at Kearney ("UNK" or the "University") recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodations in its housing policies and practices where necessary for individuals with disabilities to use and enjoy University housing.

The Office of Disability Services for Students is responsible for evaluating whether to grant or deny requests for reasonable accommodation in University housing. In evaluating the request, Disability Services will consult with the Office of Residence Life, the UNK ADA/Section 504 Coordinator, and the UNK Office of Counseling & Care, as necessary, to determine whether the requested accommodation is necessary and reasonable. Individuals with a disability who reside or intend to reside in University housing who believe they need a reasonable accommodation must contact Disability Services.

Request for accommodation is made fewer than 60 days before the individual intends to move into University housing, UNK cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs during the first semester or term of occupancy.

Reasonable Accommodation Policy


The University of Nebraska at Kearney (“UNK” or “University”) recognizes the importance of “Service Animals” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) and the broader category of “Assistance Animals” under the Fair Housing Act that provide physical and/or emotional support to individuals with disabilities.  UNK is committed to allowing individuals with disabilities the use of a Service Animal on campus to facilitate their full-participation and equal access to the University’s programs and activities. UNK is also committed to allowing Assistance Animals necessary to provide individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy University housing. 

Assistance Animal Policy

Assignments & Room Changes

The Office of Residence Life recognizes that not all students may identify as female or male. When requested, Residence Life will locate a room assignment and environment for a student who identifies as trans*gender, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and/or non-binary. Thus, while completing a housing assignment, a student may find that the housing option available on the MyBlue account’s Housing portal is not lining up with the chosen gender identity. If this occurs, please email Residence Life at or call us at 308-865-8519 so that we can discuss a suitable room assignment.

All room change requests will be considered on a case by case basis. The Office of Residence Life does not honor any request for a student to be moved out of a designated room because of one’s discomfort with a roommate’s protected status such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, ability status, age, veteran’s status, religious expression and/or socio-economic status. Please see UNK’s Non-discrimination Statement for more information about UNK’s commitment to inclusion:


Students must maintain full-time student status at the University of Nebraska at Kearney or University of Nebraska Medical Center to maintain eligibility for housing. Central Community College credit hours may contribute to the full time 12 hour requirement. Proof of class enrollment at Central Community College is required for eligibility. 

Those who drop below full time status must fill out an Eligibility Waiver Form and return it to the Office of Residence Life. Once the form has been submitted it will be reviewed and the student notified if their request has been approved or denied. 

If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 308-865-8519 for more information.

Contract Cancellation

How much are contract cancellation fees? 

Academic Year Contracts:

On or before May 31, 2019 = $0

June 1, 2019-September 11, 2019: $500 and 50% of the remaining fall semester’s room and board charges.  

September 12, 2019-April 30, 2020: $500 and 50% of the remaining fall and spring semester’s room and board charges.

Spring Semester Contracts:

On or before November 30, 2019 = $0

December 1, 2019-May 8, 2020: $500 and 50% of the remaining spring semester’s room and board charges.

Cancellation fees are not assessed for the following circumstances:

Graduation in December, withdrawal from UNK, change in enrollment below full-time status, study abroad in an approved program, resident teaching, academic internship, pregnancy, marriage, or military service requiring residents to live outside the Kearney area. Proper documentation must be provided a minimum
of five (5) business days in advance of the requested cancellation date.

How do I cancel my contract?

UNK Housing Contract Cancellation From.

When the form is received, the Office of Residence Life will process your cancellation and send a confirmation email.