Emergency Information

In case of an emergency requiring evacuation of a building such as fire or large chemical spill, activate nearest fire alarm, and call 911. Be prepared to give the operator as much information as possible about the emergency including your name, phone number, exact location of emergency, nature of emergency and chemicals involved. Consult safety data sheets and/or department emergency plan for more information. Safety data sheets can be accessed at this link.


UNK Police 308-865-8911(office) 
Nebraska Poison Control 800-222-1222
National Pesticide Hotline 800-858-7378
Emergency Highway Help Line 800-525-5555 or *55 on a cellular phone
Nebraska State Patrol, HazMat Response Team 800-525-5555
American Red Cross Fort Kearney Chapter 308-234-2770
Nebraska Hazardous Incident Team, Troop C, Grand Island 308-385-6000

The North American Emergency Response Guidebook was developed for use by fire fighters, police and other emergency response personnel who may be the first to arrive at the scene of a transportation incident involving dangerous goods. It is primarily a guide to aid first responders in quickly identifying the hazards of the materials involved in the incident, and protecting themselves and the general public during the initial response phase of the incident.

CHEMTREC (Chemical Transportation Emergency Center) was established in 1971 by the chemical industry as a public service hotline for fire fighters, law enforcement, and other emergency responders to obtain information and assistance for emergency incidents involving chemicals and hazardous materials. The 24-hour phone number is 800-424-9300.