J-1 Employment

It is essential that J-1 students understand and comply with Department of State employment regulations. Not understanding employment regulations does not excuse a student from the serious consequences of unauthorized employment. Unauthorized employment can result in a J-1 student having to depart the U.S. A J-1 student who needs to be employed on-campus or off-campus must obtain a detailed explanation of employment regulations from the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) in the International Student Services Office.

On Campus Employment

J-1 students may be employed part-time (20 hours per week or less) on the campus of the school.

During official breaks and the student's annual vacation, full-time employment is permitted.

The RO/ARO has to approve the specific employment in advance and in writing. The approval may be valid up to 12 months, but is automatically withdrawn if the student's program is terminated.

Off Campus Employment

All off-campus employment must be authorized in advance and in accordance with specific procedures outlined in the federal regulations. Do not work off-campus without prior permission. Talk with the RO/ARO for more information.

Academic Training

Academic training authorization permits a J-1 student to be employed temporarily at a job directly related to his or her major field of study. To be authorized to engage in academic training employment, a J-1 student must have received written approval in advance from the RO/ARO for the duration and type of academic training. If do you want more information please come to our offices and ask to our officers.

Social Security Card

Learn more about how to obtain a Social Security Number in order to be eligible to work