Try this little test.
- Walk across your office. How long did that take you? 4 maybe 5 seconds.
close your eyes and walk the same route. No problem right - you know
know where everything is and can navigate your office blindfolded.
walk in a busy public area for 4 - 5 seconds. Did you bump into
furniture? Another person? Have a near miss? Did you feel uncomfortable?
operating a motor vehicle at 55mph - you will drive the length of a
football field in 4.6 seconds. Do you really think it is no big deal to
drive down the highway, blind for the length of a football field?
Located in West Center on the University of Nebraska at Kearney Campus.
The Nebraska Safety Center was established by the Nebraska Legislature in 1978.
We exist to conserve human and economic resources through safety and accident prevention.
Our VISION includes recognition as the regional center providing universal safety education which enhances the quality of life for Nebraskans.
What does the Center do?
The Nebraska Safety Center provides instruction in safety education, service through seminars and workshops, coordination of statewide programs, and research in safety education. These purposes and functions of the Nebraska Safety Center are addressed through five areas outlined in the legislation. These five areas are: Traffic, Industrial. Home, Fire and Recreational Safety.
When was the driving range developed?
The Center's driving range facility (The Ron and Carol Cope Nebraska Center for Safety Education and Research) was developed in 1981 and is the hub of most of the traffic safety activities. For directions to the Driving Range Click here Range Map
The Nebraska Safety Center Center offers the following Safety Related Services:
- Driver Improvement Courses
- STOP (Safety Training Option Program) - a diversion class for violators of minor traffic offenses
- Evaluations for Driver's who are medically challenged
- Mine Safety Training for approximately 200 mines in Nebraska
- Driver Education Classes
- ATV Rider Safety
- Pupil Transportation Level Training
- CDL Driver Training
- Passenger Awareness, Safety & Sensitivity Training (PASS)
- Safety Consultation Services