• Life's Better on campus

Office of Residence Life

Printable Forms

The following is a list of forms you may print for your convenience.

On-Campus Residency Exemption Form 2015-2016.

Eligibility Wavier Form

Residence Hall Lounge Reservation Policy and Request Form

On-Campus Residency Exemption Information

All full-time students under the age of 19 on the first day of class in the fall semester are required to live in University housing for the duration of the academic year. The Board of Regents and University of Nebraska at Kearney established the On Campus Residency Policy which is a requirement that serves important educational and developmental purposes. Students prosper in stable living environments that are close to academic resources and organized student activities that promote social interaction and exposure to new and diverse life experiences, and that afford supervision, counseling and other assistance as may be needed. On-campus residency provides unparalleled opportunities for multidimensional student development, and is part-and-parcel of the university's broad educational program.

The only exceptions to the residency requirement are if:

  • The student is living in the Kearney community (defined by UNK as absolutely no farther than 30 miles from the Kearney campus) with parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
  • The student is married, a single parent, or has a documented disability, which makes it impractical to meet the housing requirement;
  • The student will be living in certain off-campus facilities, which approximate the educational advantages of residence hall living and meet specified requirements.

An On-Campus Residency Exemption  will only be granted after the appropriate forms have been obtained and completed with the appropriate supporting documentation. The On Campus Residency Exemption Form can be obtained by clicking on the above link. The form needs to be returned to the Office of Residence Life with supporting documentation. The On-Campus Residency Exemption Form will be reviewed by the Office of Residence Life. The student will then be notified if their On-Campus Residency Exemption has been approved or denied via student provided email. The student should wait to complete the housing contract until they are notified of the decision regarding their submission for exemption. Please allow the Office of Residence Life a minimum of two weeks for the review process once all documentation is provided. 3.4.7. If the exemption is denied or the On-Campus Residency Exemption Process is not completed, and the student chooses to live off campus as a full-time student under the age of 19 on the first day of class in the fall semester, room and board charges for the academic year will be assessed to the student account.

Eligibility Wavier Information

Non Full Time Students

Only enrolled students, designated guests of the University of Nebraska at Kearney, and UNMC are eligible for University housing. Students must maintain full-time student status at the University of Nebraska at Kearney to maintain eligibility for housing. Central Community College credit hours may contribute to the full-time 12 hour requirement.  Proof of class enrollment at Central Community College is required for eligibility. Those who drop below full time status must fill out an Eligibility Waiver Form and return it to the Office of Residence Life. Once the form has been submitted it will be processed for approval. The student will then be notified if their request has been approved or denied. 

University Heights Applicants

In order to reside at University Heights must be at least 21 years old and be a full-time student. A student who is legally married, is pregnant, or is a legal custodial guardian of a child may also reside at University Heights. The Office of Residence Life may grant residency to persons who do not fit within these categories. An Eligibility Waiver Form will need to be filled out and turned into the Office of Residence Life or the Graduate Hall Director at University Heights. Once the Eligibility Waiver has been approved, you would need to fill out the University Heights housing application on line and an apartment would be assigned to you. A new Eligibility Waiver must be filled out each semester for persons who have been given a previous exception. This needs to be completed and approved prior to the student filling out their contract on line for the upcoming term.

If you have questions or concerns, please call the Office of Residence Life at 308-865-8519 for more information.