• Life's Better on campus

Office of Residence Life

Frequently Asked Questions

When will I know my room assignment and roommate?

For the Spring 2015 semester: We will assign students to their rooms in December. Notifications will begin shortly after rooms have been assigned.

For the 2015-2016 academic year: We will assign students to their rooms in June. Notifications will begin shortly after rooms have been assigned. More information about loft rentals, micro-fridge rentals etc. will be sent via email.

When do I have to pay my housing bill?

Bills are sent to the students during the second week of classes. Please visit Student Accounts for billing and due date information. You can pay your bill online via MyBLUE or in person at the Finance Office.

Do I have to pay anything before I move in?

A $50 non-refundable processing fee must be sent to the Office of Residence Life with the housing contract. When you arrive to campus and check-in to your residence hall, you will pay a $30 Social Fund fee. Please see the UNK Student Handbook for a complete explanation of hall fees.

When will I receive my roommate's address & phone number?

Roommate information is mailed in early to mid-summer for the upcoming academic year. *Please note: changes to room and roommate assignments cannot be made until after the first week of the fall semester.

I'm a below the age of 19; do I have to live on campus?

The Board of Regents and the University of Nebraska at Kearney require all full-time students under the age of nineteen on the first day of fall semester to live on campus for one academic year; unless you qualify for an exemption. Click here to view/print the Housing Contract exemption and Appeal Form.

Is there a penalty for moving off campus during the year?

Contract Cancellation Click here for current housing contract terms and conditions.

  • Residents must cancel their contract in writing or via email to the Office of Residence Life at resilife@unk.edu, including their full name, NUID, permanent mailing address, and phone number; on or before June 1, 2015 to avoid the $500 cancellation fee and additional charges.
  • Cancellations between June 2, 2015 and September 18, 2015; will incur a $500 cancellation fee, and 50% of remaining fall semester’s room and board charges assessed to the student account.
  • Cancellations made on September 19, 2015 through May 6, 2016; will incur a $500 cancellation fee, and 50% of remaining fall AND spring semester’s room and board charges assessed to the student account.
  • Students completing a spring semester only 2016 New Housing Contract have until December 1, 2015 to cancel their contract in writing without incurring charges. Cancellations of enrolled students made on or after December 2, 2015 will incur a $500 cancellation fee, and 50% of remaining spring semester’s room and board charges assessed to the student account.
  • The 50% (fifty percent) of the remaining room and board balance charged to the student account is determined at a prorated amount during the time of occupancy. After a resident checks-in, room and board accumulates at a daily rate through the day the resident completes the check-out process.
  • Students not returning for the Spring Semester are required to check out by the Friday of Commencement in December. See 4.3 Contract Period & Housing Eligibility for more details.
  • Check out procedures include: contact the Hall Director for approval, contact RA to schedule time for check out, turn in room, hall, and mail keys, sign check out form as applicable. If procedures are not followed a $50 (fifty) dollar improper check out fee is assessed to the student’s account.

How do I change roommates during the academic year?

No room or roommate changes can be made during the first two week of each semester; after that these changes can be made by working with your hall director. NOTE: By federal law and University policy, room assignments and room changes cannot be made on the basis of race, color, religion, handicap, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.

How do I request a roommate?

A specific roommate can be requested using the housing contract located on MyBLUE.

Can I have a private room?

There are a limited number of designated private rooms on campus. Private rooms are not guaranteed and extremely unlikely to be available to new students at the beginning of the fall semester. We will do our best to accommodate your needs, but nothing can be guaranteed.

May I have overnight guests stay in my room?

Guests may visit your room at any time. A resident may have an overnight guest of the same gender, provided the roommate approves and both the resident and guest adhere to the regulations that can be found in the Residence Life Policies.

Is there a place for my family/friends to stay on campus when they come to visit?

On campus guest housing is not available for family/friends.

Must I have a meal plan?

Yes, all students that live on campus are required to have a meal plan.

Can I change my meal plan?

Meal plans can only be changed during the first week of classes. Please visit UNK Dining to change your meal plan.

If I live on campus will my personal property be insured?

No. Your personal property should be covered by your parents' insurance policy; if not, we strongly recommend that you take out your own personal property insurance.

What should I do if I lose my room key, building fob, or mailbox key?

Contact your Resident Assistant or Hall Director, who may be able to loan you a temporary replacement key(s) and fob. A lost key and/or fob charge may apply.

What is the size of my room?

Room sizes vary, but most are approximately 16'x11"'. More specific information can be found on each Hall Options Page.

Which residence halls are air conditioned?

Antelope/Nester Complex, Centennial Towers East (CTE), Centennial Towers West (CTW), Mantor, Men's, Randall, URN and URS.

What appliances and furnishings come with the rooms?

Two twin beds, two desks with chairs, a dresser or closet space, window coverings, computer Ethernet ports and one cable TV outlet.

What size are the beds in the rooms?

All beds are extra-long twin, 39" x 80", except for beds in Mantor Hall. These beds can be either regular twin, 39" x 75". We do have a limited number of extra-long twin beds for students that are not living in a room where they are provided. Please call the Office of Residence Life at 308-865-8519 for bed sizes or to be placed on the first-come, first-serve request list.

Is cable TV provided in the rooms?

Yes, HD cable TV service is provided in your room.

Who should I contact if my cable TV, or Internet isn't working?

Cable TV: HD cable TV is provided in your room for you. For maintenance on outlets, please contact your Hall Director to fill out a Work Request Form. For channel reception, contact the Information Technology Service Helpdesk 865-8363 or complete the Helpdesk Online Request Form.

Internet: If you have trouble connecting to the Internet or any other UNK online application (EASI, Blackboard), please contact the Information Technology help desk at 865-8363.

What kind of computer should I bring?

Information Technology Services sets guidelines for minimum machine requirements. Please see their website for more information.

Does UNK provide e-mail service to students?

Yes. Every student is provided with a UNK e-mail account through the UNK server. You will learn your e-mail address, and how to log on, during registration. Most University staff and faculty require that you use this provided e-mail service in order to get in contact with all students should the necessity arise. It is encouraged that you check your LoperMail once per day to make sure that you have up-to-date class, school closing, and residence hall information.

I think I have bedbugs. What should I do?

If you suspect you have bedbugs, please contact your Resident Assistant or Hall Director for assistance.

Office of Residence Life Bedbug Policy