The UNK Thompson Scholars Learning Community provides multidimensional living and learning opportunities that foster student engagement and promote academic, civic, and social development to prepare students for lives as responsible citizens in a diverse society.
UNK Thompson Scholars: Live-Learn-Connect-Succeed
- Students live in a community built intentionally to create supportive relationships and provide developmental experiences that assist with the transition to college. Student peer mentors live within the community and the Thompson Scholars Learning Community offices are located in close proximity to the community to provide optimal support for students.
- Students learn by taking shared classes, working with a faculty mentor on an undergraduate project, and attending numerous co-curricular programs designed to enhance learning outside of the classroom. The Thompson Scholars Learning Community staff provides additional support through multiple academic initiatives and individualized academic planning.
- Students connect through collaborative programs, shared opportunities, and individualized mentoring. The learning community works to provide a strong sense of belonging for UNK Thompson Scholars, which impacts student engagement, campus pride and retention.
- Students succeed as community members who receive a more enhanced collegiate experience with an expectation of academic success moving towards graduation. UNK Thompson Scholars are provided with opportunities to help them become engaged citizens of the campus, community, and global society.
- Provide students with a social and academic support system
- Offer opportunities for student growth and development.
- Organize programming with campus and community resources.
- Provide additional academic interaction and resources.
- Assist with transition to college and persistence to graduation.
Back to top