UNK Online Courses offer a flexible and convenient way for you to start or continue your college education. Online courses are offered electronically through the Internet allowing you to attend class anywhere there is a computer and Internet access -- at home, at school, or at the library. You also choose when you want to take the course - before work, after work, or late at night. Online courses are similar to traditional courses in that they are instructor-led where the instructor develops the curriculum, conducts the class, gives the assignments, answers questions, leads discussions, and assigns grades. You will be expected to begin the first week of class and work regularly throughout the semester. Online courses are highly interactive with faculty and students communicating through e-mail, discussion forums, and chat groups.
Although online courses offer flexibility and convenience, many of them are quite demanding and may not be the best option for all students. To succeed with online courses, you must be highly motivated and self-disciplined in arranging your time, and you also need a solid set of computer skills. To find out if online learning is for you click here. Minimum hardware requirements are listed at http://www.unk.edu/offices/its/. To test your browser, go here.
How do I get started?
- If you are already a UNK student, proceed to step 2.
- If you are new to UNK or have not been enrolled for two years, complete either the Undergraduate or Graduate Admission Form online at www.unk.edu, click on "Apply" at the bottom of the page. If you are unsure of your admission status, please refer to the Admissions link for assistance or contact the appropriate admissions office. You may pay the application fee by credit card or submit payment to the Undergraduate Admission office for $45, or to the Graduate Admission Office for $45. You cannot proceed to registration until your application has been fully processed.
- Register for the course at http://myblue.unk.edu. You will be asked for your NU ID and password to log in.
- Once you are logged into MyBlue, choose "Enroll" and complete your enrollment. There is a registration tutorial available when you log into MyBlue.
- Within a week of your registration, you will be assigned a UNK Lopermail email account (the official UNK email system). A username and password will be created for you. You will use this same username and password in order to access Blackboard (UNK's online learning system). Keep your username and password in a safe place as they allow access to all your records. They will remain the same during your future semesters at UNK, unless you change them.
- After registering, access your class on the start date at http://blackboard.unk.edu.
Need Help?? For course related questions, use the Blackboard email system to communicate with your instructor. For technical (computer and software) questions, contact the Information Technology Services Helpdesk at (308) 865-8363 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATTENTION: By enrolling in an online course, certain information, such as email address, mailing address, etc. may be released to other class members to facilitate learning in the online environment. If you do not wish to have such information made available to others, then you may wish to take the course in a more traditional setting. Such information would be available to other students in the class or in other sections of the same class through a secure network but would not be accessible to the general public.