The University of Nebraska must take reasonable steps to assure the name used by a student on educational records is the student's legal name. To change the name used on student records, a student must provide documentation in one of the following forms:
- A copy of a certificate of marriage.
- A certified copy of a court decree dissolving a marriage and restoring a maiden name or a certified copy of the court order directing a change of name.
- A motor vehicle operator's license issued by the State of Nebraska.
- A copy of a social security card.
The Office of Student Records and Registration uses the following procedures to process the name change requests.
- The student completes the Name Change Form.
- The student is asked to present certification in a manner cited above.
- The source of the official documentation is identified on the Name Change Form.
- The student's permanent record folder and computer records are changed.
- Individuals no longer enrolled who request a name change may present the itemized documentation cited above and their records will be so noted. Past entries will remain as posted on the permanent record.