Safe Walk Program
Are you concerned for your safety?
Did you work or study into the late hours?
Is it dark and you are walking along back to your car or home?
Safe Walk may be the answer!
The University of Nebraska at Kearney is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for the campus community. Anytime a student, employee or visitor feels uncomfortable walking on, or within two blocks of campus, they can request a SAFE WALK. Simply dial (308) 224-0853 or (308) 236-2488 and speak to a UNK Community Service Officer.
- Your name
- Your location
- Identifying information like clothing and description of your vehicle
They will then arrange to meet with you and escort you to a safe location. Community Service Officers will walk with you two blocks off campus, south, east and north for those of you parking or living nearby. The Safe Walk is available every night from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. If you ever feel uncomfortable on campus before or after these hours, contact Police and Parking Services at (308) 627-4811 and a uniformed Police Officer will escort you to your safe destination.
Night Time Safety Tips
- Walk in well lit, well traveled areas
- Walk with a purpose, quickly and confidently
- Avoid short cuts like alleys or across yards
- Walk with a friend
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Pay attention to cars or pedestrians that may be following you
- If you think you are being followed, immediately dial 911 or go to a lit house or business and ask them to call 911
- Avoid areas containing a large amount of vegetative growth (shrubs, bushes, trees)
- Know the location of emergency phones and other equipment
- Carry a cell phone with you but be aware, talking on phones while walking is a distraction from possible danger
- All emergencies should be reported directly to 911.
- “Blue Code” emergency phones are located throughout campus and will dial directly to 911.
- Report suspicious activity immediately to 911 or Police and Parking Services at 627-4811.
- Report any crime, whether you are a victim or a witness to 911 or 627-4811 or be a silent witness.
For more safety tips and self defense information contact Police and Parking Services @ (308) 627-4811 or UNKpd@unk.edu