Security Guidelines for Traveling
If you are traveling overseas, check out these guides from the FBI.
- If possible, do not take your work device with you. Contact the UNK Helpdesk about getting a “loaner” device.
- Avoid taking any sensitive or confidential university data with you unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Be sure that all operating systems and software are fully patched and up-to-date with security software.
- Be sure to password protect your devices. Do not use the same passwords on your work and personal devices.
- Set up lost device location services and remote wiping capability
- Assume that anything you do on your devices will be intercepted, especially over WiFi.
- Be cautious using public computers.
- If you must access sensitive university data from off-campus, connect through the UNK VPN service.
- Do not insert untrusted USB drives or other portable media into your devices.
- Keep your devices on you or locked in a safe whenever possible.
- If you have used any UNK passwords (EASI, MyBLUE, etc) while away, change them.