It is important to develop good computer maintenance habits to keep your computer running as efficiently as possible. Some time spent taking care of you computer will reward you with reliable service. By doing the following maintenance practices you can keep your computer happy, healthy and trouble free.
Uninstall / Remove Unwanted Programs
One of the easiest ways to help solve slow computers and pop-ups is simply uninstalling and removing programs you no longer need. Alot of times unwanted programs will get installed alongside a program you are actually installing on your computer. Users MUST
make sure they are downloading and installing software from a legitamate website.
- Click on the Start Button in the bottom left corner of your desktop and then choose Control Panel in the right column.
- Proceed to the Uninstall Programs section below
- Right click on your Start button in the bottom left corner of your desktop and select Control Panel
- Proceed to the Uninstall Programs section below.
- The control panel window will open. In the bottom left portion of the window under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- If your window looks different, make sure the View by option in the top right corner is set to Category.
- You will now get a window that list all the programs installed on your computer. You simply click on the program you want uninstall and select uninstall at the top of the list.
- The uninstall procress will now begin and may be promted to select a few more actions.
- After all programs are uninstalled, restart your computer.
Disk Cleanup is a computer maintenance utility that is included in the Microsoft Windows operating system and it is designed to free up space on the hard drive. The cleanup process involves searching and analyzing the hard drive for files that are no longer needed. Then it proceeds to remove them and thus freeing up disk space on the hard drive.
- Click the Start button in the bottom right corner of your desktop, type in Disk Cleanup in the search box. Disk Cleanup should appear under the Programs section. Select Disk Cleanup.
- Proceed to the Disk Cleanup section below.
- Open up your Charm Bar by moving your mouse cursor into the top right corner of your desktop. Once the Charm Bar appears select the Search icon.
- Enter Disk Cleanup into the search box. Select Disk Cleanup.
- Proceed to the Disk Cleanup section below
- A window will pop up asking which Drive you want to clean up. Choose the drive labeled (C:) and press OK.
- Disk Cleanup wil calculate and analyze how much space can be cleaned.
- When the following windows opens check the following options:
- Download Program Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Temporaty Files
- Recycle Bin (Optional: This will empty your Recycling Bin, deleting everything. DO NOT check if you have something in here you want permanently deleted)
- Click OK and Disk Cleanup will run. Restart computer when it is finished.
Disk Defragment & Disk Check
Programs At Startup
Virus / Spyware Removal