Check your email address for violations
Troy Hunt, an Australian security researcher, has put together a website to allow you to see if your email address has been listed in any of the recent major data breaches. Check to see if your email address is among the accounts compromised in these recent breaches click here.
• Pixel Federation
You can also sign up to be notified if your address shows up in his database in the future.
Microsoft will stop publishing updates for Windows XP after April 8, 2014
Microsoft will stop publishing updates for Windows XP after April 8, 2014. Any remaining Windows XP computers will become increasingly vulnerable to security risks and viruses as time passes.
To determine if your computer is running the soon to be retired operating system click here.
What should you do if you are running XP?
- If your computer is owned by the University of Nebraska at Kearney, contact your College Computer Support Tech, or call the UNK Helpdesk at (308)865-8363.
- If your computer belongs to you, you may need to upgrade to a newer system. Contact Nathan at the UNK Technology Store (308)865-8137 for options.
- Desktops start at $549.00
- A variety of laptops start at $299.00
- If your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements, you may be able to upgrade to a newer Operating System.
- Windows 7 upgrade disks for $29.99
- Windows 8 disks for $49.99
12 scams of Christmas by McAfee
McAfee released its annual “12 Scams of Christmas” list to show some of the most common scams criminals use during the holiday season to take advantage of consumers. Check it out here.
Holiday Season Phishing Scams and Malware Campaigns
US-CERT(United States – Computer Emergency Readiness Team) has published information to raise awareness about seasonal scams and cyber campaigns. Read the Holiday Season Phishing Scams and Malware Campaigns. It includes information about:
- Shopping safely online
- Verifying requests for charitable contributions
- Recognizing email scams
- Avoiding Social engineering attacks
- Holiday traveling with personal internet-enabled devices