You must take care of your PC internally and externally on a daily basis. By doing so, your computer will run smoothly and you will be able to extended the life of your computer. The following are some suggestions for taking care of your PC on daily basis.
To be able to watch the tutorials on this site you must download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
Click here to Download Adobe Reader for free.
- Always scan all files that you download from the Internet, your email and other people’s storage device before opening or executing them.
- Create strong passwords. Pdf Tutorial
- Save your work often.
- Hold CDs and DVDs by the edge.
- Close all open programs before you shut down your computer.
- Shut down your computer when you are done using it. It will save electricity.
- Keep your PC desktop free of clutter
- Some desktops have so many programs, short cuts, and data on them that it makes it very hard to find what you want. This article demonstrates how to remove clutter from your desktop.
- Remove broken shortcuts.
- Reboot when program crash: Failed applications can cause problems. Restart your computer if you have problem.
- Keep magnets away from your computer and disks. Magnets can erase data and information.
- Take care of External health of your computer.
- Protect your computer from heat: Heat may cause expansion of different parts of your computer. The hard drive's read and write head rests a tad above the hard drive. Any expansion in the hard drive will cause the read and write head to touch the hard drive surface which in turn may cause the loss of data.
- Do not eat by your computer: If you spill food or drink on your keyboard, most likely it will be ruined. However, if you spilled something on your keyboard, read this article to learn how might correct the problem.
- Clean your monitor: The electrical fields in monitors are magnets for dust. You must keep your monitor clean with a damp, lint-free cloth. Check your own monitor documentations to learn how to take care of your specific monitor.
- Clean your PC case: With a damped lint-free cloth dust the PC case. Pay special attention to all the ventilation openings.
Computer Health |
New computer tasks | Daily tasks | Weekly tasks |
Monthly tasks |
Office of Information Technology Services, 114 Otto Olsen Bldg, (308) 865-8950
ITS HOME | POLICIES | ABOUT ITS