Sept. 20, 2008
Students and faculty many times post audio or video (A/V) files as part of their assignments in Blackboard. Since A/V files can get pretty large, it may be easier to post the A/V files elsewhere and then link to them in Blackboard.
You may want to look at uploading your files to an off-site provider such as http://www.youtube.com or http://www.mypodcast.com to help save some space on Bandwidth and storage space on Blackboard. Blackboard is not designed for streaming of AV files.
Particulars of Web Video
Internet video plays at a much smaller frame size and frame rate than video on a monitor. When you create video for the web, remember to avoid wide shots, excessive motion, light your subjects well, and know your copyright laws.
Uploading files to YouTube
File Size and Length of Video
Make sure that your video is no longer than 10 minutes, smaller than 1GB in size, and in an acceptable format (see Video Formats).
Sign up Requirement
Since videos are attached to your profile, you must sign up as a YouTube member to upload videos. Becoming a member also allows you to save videos, create Playlists, and leave comments, amount many other features.
YouTube accepts a wide range of video file formats such as .WMV, .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG transferred from most digital cameras, camcorders, and cell phones.
Uploading your video to YouTube
- Click the "Upload" button in the upper-right-hand corner of any YouTube page.
- Enter as much information about your video as possible, including Title, Description, Tags, and Category. The more information you include, the easier it is for users to find your video.
- Determine if you want your video set to Public or Private.
- Click the "Upload a Video..." button.
- In the next window, click the "Browse" button to browse for the video file. Select the file you want to upload.
- Click the "Upload Video" button.
It can take from a couple minutes to an hour for your video to upload to YouTube.
Office of Information Technology Services, 114 Otto Olsen Bldg, (308) 865-8950
ITS HOME | POLICIES | ABOUT ITS