How to Apply for Benefits

This page describes how to apply for your military benefits. If you are looking for how to apply to UNK, please click here.

  • After you are admitted to the University of Nebraska at Kearney, contact Veterans Services by phone at (308)865-8677 or via email at to schedule an appointment. We are able to work with you by phone or in person.
  • Complete the application for benefits on the VA/ website: If you need assistance with completing this application, we will be happy to help. Please note, you can arrange direct deposit on this application so your benefits will be deposited directly into your bank account. You will need your bank account number and the bank’s routing number in order to set up this option.
  • Collect these important documents and be prepared to bring them to our office:
    • Certificate of Eligibility – You will receive this after completing the application for benefits from the Veterans Administration.
    • DD214 Member-4 copy

* If you are applying for Chapter 1606 benefits, in addition to the certificate of eligibility and the DD214, you will need to complete the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). This will come from your unit. It is also helpful to have your Kicker contract if applicable.