Current Service Member

Our office recognizes that many service members, veterans, and their dependents have questions about benefits and how to use federal assistance. Learn about the benefits related to you. Don’t hesitate to call us with any questions.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve

This program is for active members of components of the Selected Reserve and National Guard. Eligible participants require 1) enlistment or reenlistment in the selected reserve with an obligation to serve for a period of not less than six years following enlistment on or after July 1, 1985, 2) completion of secondary school diploma requirement, or 3) completion of IDAT (initial date active training). For additional information, see


Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 students are responsible for verifying their own enrollment at the end of each month. You must do this to get your benefit check for school attendance the previous month. This can be accomplished in one of two ways.

Online: Connect to the VA’s website: and enter your first name, last name, Social Security Number, and password. Click on the link, Verify Monthly Enrollment Status. Check to see your registration status

For Undergraduate Students:

Full time enrollment is 12 hours or more
¾ time enrollments is 11 to 9 hours
½ time enrollment is 8 to 6 hours
Less than half time enrollment is 5 or fewer hours

For Graduate Students:

Full time enrollment is 9 hours or more
¾ time enrollment is 8 to 6 hours
½ time enrollment is 5 to 4 hours

Note 1: UNK Veterans Services will not change your hours if you still fall within a certain enrollment level. (Example: If you are ¾ time at 10 hours and drop a 1 hour class, we will not change your status as you are still ¾ time.)

Note 2: If the WAVE has you listed at full enrollment and you are actually ¾ enrollment, DO NOT MAKE CHANGES. DO NOT VERIFY. Contact the UNK Veterans Services Office. If you make changes on the WAVE, your payments will be stopped.

Phone: If your enrollment has not changed during the month, contact the VA Regional Processing Office by phone at 1-877-823-2378.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance is a Department of Defense program. The program is not administered or monitored by the VA. Tuition Assistance rules vary by branch of service and even vary between different units within the same branch of service depending on whether the unit is active, reserve, or National Guard. Questions regarding Tuition Assistance, as well as the obtaining of application forms, should be directed to Veterans Services.

Nebraska National Guard:

Air Force:


Coast Guard:


Tuition Assistance (TA) DECIDE is a new tool developed by the Department of Defense to allow Service members interested in using TA benefits to access essential information including average TA costs, course completion, graduation and estimated tuition and fee amounts for the 2,600+ approved schools eligible for TA. Click on the link for information about UNK.

Important Information

  • Tuition Assistance is only available for 16 credit hours during the federal calendar year (October 1 through September 30).
  • Students are not allowed to use both federal Tuition Assistance and Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 benefits.
  • The maximum Tuition Assistance coverage is $250 per credit hour.
  • Prior to each semester, our office sends a survey to all military and veteran students to give you the opportunity to tell us which benefit you want to use. This is important information for us to know so we ask that you respond to this survey to help us better assist you.


An individual’s branch of service may offer the College Fund (also known as a “kicker”) as part of an enlistment or reenlistment contract, or for other reasons they determine. The College Fund is an additional amount of money that increases an individual’s basic monthly benefit and is included in his or her VA payment.

Each service branch (not VA) determines who receives the College Fund and the amount received. It may be necessary to send VA a copy of your College Fund contract to ensure the correct amount is added to your monthly benefit. Typically, College Fund contracts are found within your enlistment contract. Contact your military unit or the National Archives to get a copy.