We are dedicated to providing outstanding services to help veterans, service members and eligible dependents of veterans and service members achieve their academic goals. UNK’s Veterans Services assists veterans in the following educational programs:
Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Program
Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 - UNK also participates in the Yellow Ribbon provision of the Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefit. This benefit is open to both Graduate and Undergraduate students who qualify. Please contact our office for more information about this benefit.
Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance
Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program
To ensure you receive your benefits in a timely manner there is paperwork that needs to be completed. This is true whether you are a member of the National Guard, a reservist or a prior service veteran. Before applying for or receiving these educational benefits, you should have the following steps completed:
- Be admitted to the University of Nebraska at Kearney.
- Have all transcripts from previous schools sent to both the Admissions Office and the Registrar’s Office.
- Be registered for classes in the semester you wish to receive benefits.
Additional documents that may be needed:
- Copy of most recent DD-214.
- Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) – only needed from National Guard members
- Bank account information for direct deposit enrollment – new applicants only.
Back to Financial Aid homepage