Financial Aid

Student Resources


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the form used to determine eligibility for federal and state student grants, work study, and loans. The information on the FAFSA is used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is used by the school to determine the student's financial aid award. For a more in-depth discussion on the awarding of financial aid check out the Determining Your Financial Aid Eligibility link.

Types of Financial Aid

Financial Aid is a broad term that is used to refer to several types and categories of financial aid. To learn more about the most common types of financial aid click here.

Collegebound Nebraska

Collegebound Nebraska

Collegebound Nebraska, the University's Tuition Assistance Program, is a guarantee of grant assistance that will cover full tuition (up to 15 credit hours of enrollment per semester) for up to five years at the University of Nebraska at Kearney. To qualify for this grant you must be a Nebraska resident, enrolled full time (minimum 12 hours) and be Pell Grant eligible. (Families whose incomes put them just beyond Pell eligibility may also qualify.) Furthermore, you must apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1st and, if applicable, fulfill UNK's request(s) for supplemental documentation for your financial aid file by June 1st.

List of Qualifications:

  • Pell Grant eligible (families that are just beyond Pell eligible may also qualify)
  • Nebraska resident
  • Undergraduate
  • FAFSA submitted by April 1st
  • Enrolled full time (minimum 12 hours)
  • Complete UNK's request(s) for any supplemental documentation by June 1st.

The Collegebound Nebraska guarantee means that we will ensure that some combination of grant and/or scholarship assistance will cover the tuition bill, whether that entails one grant or several added together. For more information, you may visit Collegebound Nebraska's website.

Financial Assistance Rights & Responsibilities

What are my Financial Assistance Rights?

You have the right to know:

  • What financial aid programs are available to you;
  • Deadlines for submitting applications for each of the financial aid programs;
  • How financial aid is disbursed;
  • How decisions are made concerning distribution, and the basis for those decisions;
  • How your financial need is determined (this includes how your cost of attendance is calculated);
  • What additional resources are considered in the calculations of your need;
  • How much of your financial need, as determined by the institution, has been met;
  • About the various programs in your student aid package;
  • About your school refund/repayment policy;
  • What portion of the financial aid you receive must be repaid and what portion is grant assistance (If the assistance is a loan, you have the right to know what the interest rate is, the total amount to be repaid, the length of time you have to repay the loan, and when the repayment begins.); and
  • How the school determines whether you are making satisfactory academic progress and what happens if you do not meet the requirement.

What are my Financial Assistance Responsibilities?

You must:

  • Accurately complete all the application forms required;
  • Submit the application materials in a timely manner and to the correct location;
  • Provide correct information (misreporting on the financial aid forms is a violation of federal law);
  • Read and understand all forms that you are signing;
  • Keep copies of all the forms for your records;
  • Accept the responsibility for all agreements that you sign;
  • Perform the work that is agreed upon when accepting a work opportunity;
  • Be aware of and comply with deadlines for application and reapplication for assistance; and
  • Be aware of the school's refund/repayment policy.

Student Consumer Information





What does it mean to borrow to finance my education?

U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid You Need.action?page=entrance


How much could I owe when I graduate?

College Navigator

Student Loan
Default Rate

What is UNK's student loan default rate?

College Navigator

School Graduation and
Retention Rates

How many of UNK's students continue and graduate from their chosen program?

College Navigator


How much will my loan payments be when I go into repayment?

U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid

Federal Student Aid

How much federal student aid have I received in loans and grants?

National Direct Student Loan Data System

College Comparison

Where can I compare information about the schools I am considering?

College Navigator

Net Price

What should I expect my out-of-pocket costs to be for one year?

UNK's Net Price Calculator

Student Loan History

How much have I borrowed in non-federal education loans?

Not currently available


Where can I compare information about the affordability and value of the schools I am considering?

College Scorecard

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - Information and Appeals Process

The University of Nebraska at Kearney is required to establish minimum academic standards that students must meet in order to be eligible for or to maintain eligibility for federal and state financial aid, including grants, loans and college work study. Click here to read more on how to maintain eligibility for financial aid.

How Withdrawal from UNK Affects Federal Financial Aid

Federal statute requires the return of a percentage of federal financial aid when an aid recipient withdraws from school. Federal financial aid is called Title IV Financial Aid. Listed below is the Title IV Financial Aid that is affected by this statute.

  1. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  2. Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  3. Perkins Loan
  4. Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
  5. Federal Pell Grant
  6. Federal Teach Grant
  7. Federal Supplemental Equal Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • This listing provides both the types of aid returned, and the order in which it is returned. Note that loans are returned first in order to reduce loan debt and retain more grant assistance.

The federal aid returned by UNK is based on the amount of federal financial aid received, the University charges incurred, and the date of withdrawal. We first calculate the amount of financial aid that is earned by the student. The amount of aid earned is determined on a pro rata basis. That is, if a student completed 30% of the semester, then the student has earned 30% of the financial aid received or scheduled to be received. Once a student has completed more than 60% of the semester all of the assistance is considered earned, and no aid will be returned.

The official date of withdrawal is the date indicated on UNK's official withdrawal form at the Office of Registration and Records. We will use this withdrawal date in the return of aid calculation.

If a student does not officially withdraw, remains enrolled but stops attending classes, and therefore fails to pass any classes, the calculation must be done in accordance with federal statute. Failing to officially withdraw does not result in the waiving of the requirement to return Title IV Financial Aid. In these cases, at least 50% of the financial aid will have to be returned. A student who fails all of their classes, but attended the majority of the semester, should contact the financial aid office to determine if the need to return aid can be avoided.

If a student's University charges are reduced as a result of withdrawal, and that withdrawal generates a refund, this refund will be used to repay the federal financial aid programs as determined by the calculation. Grant dollars that have to be returned will go back to the individual grant program, while loan funds that are returned will be sent to the student's lender, reducing the student's loan debt. If the refund does not cover the entire amount due back to the aid programs, the student will be billed the difference. If the student must return funding to the Pell or SEOG programs, the student has 45 days to make repayment to the University or be reported to the U.S. Department of Education as a student who owes an overpayment. Owing an overpayment means that student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

Below is an Example of the Return of Title IV Funds Calculation.

  • John is a student who withdraws on 9/24/2014.
  • John received $2,668 in Title IV financial aid
  • John's bill was $1,276
  1. Establish the withdrawal date and calculate the percentage of aid the student may retain.

    * 9/24/2014 is 29 days into the semester, which is 116 days long. Therefore, he has completed 25% of the semester.

    * This means that he may keep 25% of the aid awarded to him, however 75% must go back to the aid programs. (If the percentage of aid a student may retain is at 60% or more, all aid is retained.)
  2. Calculate the percentage of unearned aid that has to be returned.

    *75% of $2,668 in financial aid must be returned: $2,001.
  3. Calculate the maximum percentage of financial aid applied to cost that the school has to return.

    *75% of the cost, $1276, is $957.

    * The school must then return the lesser of $957 (percentage of cost) or $2,001 (percent of unearned financial aid) to the aid programs.

    *The school returns $957 on John's behalf.
  4. Aid the student must personally return.

    *John's grant aid is returned on his behalf by the school and therefore becomes part of the bill that must be repaid to the school. Failure to pay this would result in reporting to the Department of Education as an overpayment. Reporting is done 45 days after the calculation if the repayment has not been made to the school.

    *The balance of John's loan not paid by the school will go into repayment after the 6 month grace period in accordance with the terms of the promissory note.

Federal TEACH Grant Program

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grant assistance to students admitted in either an undergraduate or graduate degree program. It is intended for students who agree to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years in schools that serve students from low-income families.

Amount of Grant
The TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year ($16,000 total for an undergraduate program; $8,000 total for a graduate program). Students attending less than full time will have the grant reduced (three-quarter time students may receive up to $3,000; half-time students may receive up to $2,000, and less-than-half time students may receive up to $1,000). The amount of grant aid the student receives does not impact the service obligation.


  • Must be admitted to the College of Education. For information on admission to the College of Education please see Frequently Asked Questions.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Complete a FAFSA, although you do not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible.
  • Meet the eligibility requirements for federal student aid. Generally this means you are a citizen or permanent resident, you are not in default on a student loan or owe a repayment on a federal grant and you are meeting UNK’s standard of Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 throughout your academic program, or demonstrate a score above the 75th percentile on a national standardized college admissions test.
  • Be enrolled in an eligible degree program.
  • Recipients of the TEACH Grant must be undergraduate students pursuing their first Bachelors degree or graduate students in a Masters program.
    • UNK students enrolled in either a second Bachelors degree or the Post Bachelor Teacher Certification program are NOT eligible to receive the TEACH Grant.
  • Complete TEACH Grant Entrance/Subsequent Counseling and sign a service agreement each year that you receive a grant. See sections below for information about these requirements.

TEACH Grant Counseling
Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must complete a counseling session. The counseling session provides the information required to make an informed decision regarding acceptance of the grant. Counseling is completed electronically on the U.S. Department of Education web site. UNK will be notified once a student has successfully completed the counseling session.

Service Agreement
Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay (service agreement) which will be available electronically on the U.S. Department of Education website. When you sign the service agreement, you are agreeing to repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. If the grant does convert to an Unsubsidized Loan interest will be charged from the day the grant funds were first received. Once the grant has been converted to a loan, it cannot be converted back to a grant.

Teaching Obligations
Grant recipients agree to teach for at least four full years within eight years of finishing their degree, and to teach high-need subjects in designated schools that serve low-income students.

  • High-need subject areas include:
    • Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
    • Foreign Language
    • Mathematics
    • Reading Specialist
    • Science
    • Special Education
    • Other teacher shortage areas listed annually in the Department of Education’s Annual Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing.
  • Schools currently serving low-income students include any elementary or secondary school that is listed in the Department of Education’s Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits.
  • You must meet your state’s definition of a highly qualified, full time teacher and spend the majority (at least 51 percent) of your time teaching one of the high-need subject areas.
    • Most elementary teachers, unless teaching English as a Second Language or Special Education, will not meet the full-time teaching requirement in the high-need field.

For more information about pursuing a TEACH Grant-eligible program, contact the College of Education at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, (308) 865-8502. You may also consult the factsheet: TEACH Grant Factsheet.

For more information about receiving a TEACH Grant, contact the Office of Financial Aid at the University of Nebraska at Kearney, (308) 865-8520.

Teach Grant Eligible Programs at UNK:
(**Refers to State of Nebraska high-need subjects.)

English as a Second Language


French 7-12 Subject


German 7-12 Subject


Spanish 7-12 Subject


Biology 7-12 Subject


Chemistry 7-12 Subject


**Communication Disorders


Mathematics 7-12 Field


Mathematics 7-12 Subject


Physics 7-12 Subject


Mild Moderate 7-12 Field


Mild Moderate K-6 Field


Middle Grades Field with emphasis in


Natural Science and/or Mathematics


Program Plans for Graduate Level Programs - Meet NCATE Requirements for Advanced Teacher Preparation and/or NDE Endorsement Requirements

Reading PK-12


Special Education


**Speech/Language Pathology


Modern Languages – Spanish Education


Science/Math Education


Semester Cost Estimators

The Cost Estimator will help determine your approximate UNK costs per semester as a degree seeking student.

Semester Cost Estimator for Graduate Students

Semester Cost Estimator for Undergraduate Students

Veterans' Services

We are dedicated to providing outstanding services to help veterans, service members and eligible dependents of veterans and service members achieve their academic goals. UNK’s Veterans Services assists veterans in the following educational programs:

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Program
Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 - UNK also participates in the Yellow Ribbon provision of the Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefit. This benefit is open to both Graduate and Undergraduate students who qualify. Please contact our office for more information about this benefit.
Chapter 35 - Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance
Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program

To ensure you receive your benefits in a timely manner there is paperwork that needs to be completed. This is true whether you are a member of the National Guard, a reservist or a prior service veteran. Before applying for or receiving these educational benefits, you should have the following steps completed:

  • Be admitted to the University of Nebraska at Kearney.
  • Have all transcripts from previous schools sent to both the Admissions Office and the Registrar’s Office.
  • Be registered for classes in the semester you wish to receive benefits.

Additional documents that may be needed:

  • Copy of most recent DD-214.
  • Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) – only needed from National Guard members
  • Bank account information for direct deposit enrollment – new applicants only.
  • Military Transcripts
  • Chapter 30 & Chapter 1606 Verification
  • Scholarships for Veterans
  • Contact, Information and Forms

Post 9-11 Pell Grant Provision

Post 9/11 Pell Grant Provision: Dependents of a Soldier Killed in Action

If you are a dependent of a soldier killed in action in Iraq or Afghanistan since September 11, 2001 and you are currently Pell Grant eligible, you may be eligible for some additional Pell Grant.

Because students who meet these conditions are not necessarily easily identifiable, please contact the Office of Financial Aid if you meet these conditions. We will evaluate and confirm your eligibility to determine whether you are eligible for more Pell Grant.