Career Fair Student Information
DATE: Tuesday, October 13, 2015
LOCATION: Health & Sports Center (15th and University Drive)
TIME: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
For more information, call 308-865-8501 or email:
Aaron Estes, Assistant Director (email@example.com)
Joni Weed, Employer Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) or use our Contact Us form to ask a question or leave us a comment.
How to prepare
What do I need to do to prepare for the fair?
- I periodically check Academic & Career Services' website to view the employers planning on attending the Fair.
- I have visited Academic & Career Services and:
- Stop in Academic & Careers and pick up free job search materials such as sample resumes, cover letters, and interview questions.
- Scheduled a videotaped practice interview and used the drop-off resume critique service.
- I have viewed the "Preparing for the Fair handout
- Attend the following sponsored events: Career Fair Prep Workshops -to be announced
Helpful Tips -
- Dress Professionally, bring plenty of resumes, a letter-sized portfolio with notepad and pen, money for food and phone calls, grooming care items and, most important, a positive and confident attitude!!
- Check in at the registration/information table! Pick up your nametag and a listing of employers attending. Some employers may register late or some do not show. Watch for signs posted at the Fair to alert you to this information.
- Take a few minutes to sit quietly, review materials and prioritize your list of employers.
- Take this opportunity to visit with as many employer representatives as possible. Leave your resume regardless of current openings.
- When lines are long at a table, it may be more efficient to select another employer. Stop by as many tables as possible. Some employers may leave early. Therefore, be sure to prioritize your goals for the day.
- Be prepared to interview on the spot or be invited to a more formal interview the day of the Fair or the following day. NOTE: Employers will have schedules at their tables available to schedule interviews.
- Follow-up is the key!!! Be sure to send applications and other information requested by each employer. Don't forget to send a thank-you letter too!
Career Fair Advice From Employers
How do I make a positive first impression with employers?
Should I research companies in advance, or just use the career fair as a way to learn about them?
How important is professional attire?
How do I sell my skills if I don't have relevant experience?
Do employers prefer students to approach them alone or with a group?
What kind of questions might an employer ask at a career fair?
What types of questions should I ask employers at a career fair?
Career Fair Advice from Students
Here's how I prepared for the career fair.
It's beneficial to attend a Career Fair as a freshman or sophomore.
You don't have to be looking for a job to attend the Career Fair. (Turn up the volume on this one)
Go to the Career Fair to meet employers and learn about opportunities.
It's important to make a positive first impression.
- Be sure to check for updated announcements, additions and cancellations the day of the Fair.
STUDENT VOLUNTEERS are needed to help make our fair a success.
Who can volunteer?
- Any student who is not currently seeking a professional position (please contact our office to schedule your volunteer time)
- What are the dates and times for volunteering?
- Tuesday, October 13 -- 8:30 am to 3:00 pm
Where will I be volunteering?
What do I get for volunteering?
- An opportunity to network and meet with employers from various fields
- The chance to observe employers and candidates during the fair and learn how a career fair works to better prepare yourself in the future for a job search
- Give employers a great impression of UNK students and your student organization
- Another activity to add to your resume
What will I be doing?
- It will depend on the time slot you sign up for – Duties may include: greet and direct employers/candidates to designated areas, assist Academic & Career Services staff with set up and tear down, direct questions to information table, visit with employers who are not busy, deliver refreshments/lunch to employers, assist with door prizes
What should I wear to the Career Fair?
- Casual-Professional: Dress pants with comfortable shoes
For more information please contact:
Academic and Career Services
UNK STUDENTS should park in Lots where their current parking permit allows.
- Should you need to park elsewhere you are required to get a Visitors Permit from Public Safety which is located on the corner of University drive and 19th Avenue in the General Services Building