➢ Sirens within Kearney city limits will signify the event of a tornado or funnel cloud activity. These sirens are usually tested the first Thursday of every month at approximately 5:30pm
➢ Radio, T.V., and some text message programs (such as those from the National Weather Service or UNKAlert!) will also notify you of severe weather alerts
➢ Are you Red Cross Ready for a Tornado?
- A watch means tornados could develop
- If a tornado watch is in effect, the Police & Parking Services Department will activate the Emergency Notification System to send a campus wide e-mail
- Listen to local radio and television stations or weather alert for updates
- During non-business hours, the Police Officer on duty will activate the after-hours Emergency Notification System. They will proceed to as many buildings and classrooms as possible to make notifications.
- A warning means a tornado has been sighted in the general area. If the warning sirens sound, immediately proceed to the designated shelter area. Advise others on your way. Do not use the elevators. (See Designated Shelter Locations)
- If time does not permit, get into the safest area of your building, classroom or office
- Avoid windows, auditoriums, gymnasiums or other structures with free-span roofs, boiler room areas or electrical switchgear areas
- Shelter may be taken underneath your desk or any heavy furniture available.
- Helping Individuals with Physical Disabilities:
- Building personnel and course instructors are responsible for identifying and escorting to safety all individuals who have disabilities or are otherwise physically unable to evacuate to their shelter.
- The elevators may be used to transport individuals with physical disabilities
- Tornado shelters, along with their escorts. Visually-impaired and hearing-impaired individuals may be escorted down the stairs to tornado shelters
- In the event of a power failure, individuals who are unable to use the stairs should move to an interior location without windows and call Police & Parking Services at (308) 627-4811 or 911. Police & Parking Services will notify the appropriate emergency personnel with the location.