➢ Click for Winter Weather Information➢ Ice➢ Power Outages➢ Snow
Class closings at the university are the decision of the university administration. In the event of severe weather every effort will be made to announce day classes and office closings by 6:30 am. Night class and off-campus class closings will be announced by 3pm.
Commuter students are asked to use their own judgment as to whether to drive when roads are hazardous in their area but clear in Kearney. The Child Development Center is a department of the University and will follow the same notification procedure.
Following are various ways UNK personnel and students will be notified of closings:
- The Office of Media Communications will notify radio and television stations in the Kearney area of closings. UNK officials urge students to listen to radio and television announcements regarding closings or call the Info Hub number at 234-4636, then 4865 (4-UNK) then 4850 for snow day announcements.
- An announcement will be placed on the University Switchboard (865-8441) concerning closings.
- An e-mail notification will be sent to all subscribers at UNK
- Notification will be placed on the UNK home page on the Internet at http://www.unk.edu.
- The City of Kearney has designated Cable Channel 7 as the Kearney Government Information Channel and information on snow emergencies will be posted at this channel. The City of Kearney web site at www.cityofkearney.org. Also provides snow removal information.
- The Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance will contact the Director of Facilities and when appropriate the Director of Police and Parking Services to determine conditions and weather information. For Off-campus classes, the Dean of Continuing Education will initiate the process by contacting the VCBF. The information will be reviewed with the Chancellor and discussed with Vice Chancellors if necessary and a decision made by the Chancellor.
- The Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance notifies the Director of Media Communications, whose responsibility is to contact the media. Area media include local radio and TV stations as well as the Info Line at the Kearney Hub.
- The VCBF notifies the Administrative Assistant to the VCBF who notifies other personnel who will make appropriate notifications.
- The Nebraskan Union Office will place a message on the switchboard, and notify officers on duty regarding closings.
- The UNK Webmaster will put the information on the University web site at http://www.unk.edu.
- The Human Resources Director will contact Child Care Director for appropriate notifications.
It is suggested that each department develop their own means of notifying their staff.
UNK Policy on Severe Weather/School Closing: http://www.unk.edu/emergency/Class Closings/