UNK Quick Links
A-Z Website Listing
Office of the Chancellor
Calendar of Events
Policies & Procedures
Scholarships & Fin. Aid
Colleges & Departments
Computer Use Policy
Schedule of Classes
Major/Advisor Change (ugrad)
The Antelope Online
UNK ID Card
UNK ID Card
Policies & Procedures
The Antelope Online
Business & Finance
Academic & Career Services
Employment at UNK
Nebraska State Normal School at Kearney
The psychology program began in 1905 and was headed by W.A. Clark, formerly principal of Psychology and Pedagogy at Peru. Professor Clark maintained a high profile throughout the state. While still employed by Peru Normal, Clark participated in a 1900 symposium on the History of Education in Nebraska at the 42nd Annual Meeting of the State Teacher's Association in Lincoln. In 1910 he addressed the annual meeting of the Nebraska State Institute on "General Preparation of Instructors." In addition, he served on the state-wide committee that set the standards for major and minor requirements for First Grade Certificates. By 1915, course options expanded, and Charles Emile Benson, a UNL graduate and student of Professor Harry Kirke Wolfe (who established the first psychology laboratory in the Midwest) implemented the study of the psychology of child development at Kearney Normal.
Kearney State Teacher's College (KSTC)
In 1921 the college also organized an Extension department, correspondence study directed by Ralph Noyer to keep teachers abreast of their profession and to inform college faculty of actual teaching problems in Nebraska education. Over half of the faculty conducted classes in 27 study centers as far east as Omaha, north as Burwell, and south as Danbury. At first the student cost was only the hotel and travel expenses of the teacher, but later the college charged a three dollar per credit hour fee. One hour of credit demanded at least 15 lecture hours or eight written assignments in classes ranging from Interior Decoration and Football Coaching to College Algebra and Business Psychology.
Kearney State College (KSC)
Until 1968, the study of psychology was housed in the Division of Education and Psychology. The program was designed to provide students with a fundamental understanding of the psychological principles underlying teaching and learning. In addition to educational psychology courses, general and applied psychology was taught.
In 1968, two major Divisions from the KSTC years, the Division of Science and Mathematics and the Division of Social Sciences, combined to form the School of Natural and Social Sciences and the Department of Psychology was created within this new school. At first, the faculty consisted of Mr. Donald Stumpff who had received a Masters degree from Creighton University in psychopharmacology and served as Acting Chair, and Dr. Leland Asa a graduate of the University of Wyoming. The major consisted of a 16-hour core that included history and systems of psychology, experimental psychology, physiological psychology and applied statistics with an additional 15 hours of electives, many of which were cross-listed in the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology. An early concern was creating a departmental identity distinct form education and educational psychology.
Donald Stumpff was chair of the department until 1972, by which time the faculty had increased to four. Mr. Stumpff (who retired in 1982) was the department's founder and the annual “Outstanding Senior in Psychology” award bears his name. At the end of his term as chair, the department established a chapter of Psi Chi: The National Honor Society in Psychology. In 1977, the department moved from an off-campus house to Founders Hall, which allowed us to consolidate our faculty offices, lab, animal colony, and classrooms.
Dr. Ernest Matuschka chaired the department from 1972-1979. In that interval, FTE’s increased to six despite KSC’s enrollment declines and subsequent reductions in force. At that time, the B.S. had a 13-hour core with 19 hours of psychology electives.
Kenneth Nikels, who received his doctorate from the University of Nebraska, served as chair from 1979-1983. During his tenure, the major increased to 35 semester hours, with a 20-hour core. M ore department members (7 FTE) either completed or were hired with Ph.D.’s. An important innovation at this time was the introduction of laboratory courses to accompany advanced content courses.
In 1980, the department revised its curriculum so that scientific methodology was emphasized as a fundamental component of the field of psychology. The revision was designed to strengthen the core requirements and to add interdisciplinary tracks, including comprehensive majors in Human Factors (abandoned in the 1990s), Psychobiology, currently under the direction of Dr. Wayne Briner, and a minor in Gerontology, currently directed by Dr. Robert Rycek.
University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK)
In 1990, Richard L. Miller, a Northwestern Ph. D., was hired to chair the department. Curriculum revision was undertaken that added lab components to our core courses in statistics and experimental psychology and to several advanced level content courses. The core program was strengthened to forestall early specialization by our majors. Over the years, Copeland Hall, built in 1918 as the campus gymnasium, had gradually converted to classroom use. Finally a $4.2 million project renovated the existing space and constructed 25,000 square feet of new classrooms, lecture halls, and office and lab space. Dedicated in 1996, the Psychology Department occupies the entire third floor of the building.
The move to Copeland Hall provided the department with student and faculty laboratories, specialized lab facilities in child development and physiological psychology, and human experimental psychology. In 1991, our undergraduate students first presented the results of their empirical research at the Great Plains Psychology Students' Conference and a significant aspect of the psychology student's experience at UNK was born. Currently, the majority of our undergraduate students present or publish the results of their research at regional conferences and in refereed journals. In 1999, the department received the University system's Outstanding Teaching Department Award.
Leaders of the Gang
1968 - 1972 Don Stumpff
1972 - 1979 Ernie Matuschka
1979 - 1983 Ken Nikels
1983 - 1986 Bill Wozniak
1987 - 1988 Greg Gibson
1988 - 1989 Tom Magstadt (Acting)
1989 - 1990 Ken Nikels (Acting)
1990 - 2010 Rick Miller
2010 - 2011 Robert Rycek
2012 - present Theresa Wadkins
List of long-term Faculty
The Department of Psychology has been the home of many distinguished faculty who serve(d) the university and community in many ways. This list includes those whose tenure exceeded a decade.
Donald Stumpff 1959 - 1982
Founder of the Department
Ernest Matuschka 1970 - 1990
Chair from 1972 - 1978. Added Teaching Endorsement to the departmental degree options.
Kenneth Nikels 1971 - 2007
Dean, Graduate Studies and Research & Professor of Psychology; Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Added PSI course format, animal colony, and physiological psychology lab.
Yozan Dirk Mosig 1977 - present
Recipient of Robert Bloch Award and Pratt Heins Award for Scholarship. Created Kearney Zendo as research library on Eastern psychology.
William Wozniak 1978 - present
Professor of Psychology. Recipient of Kearney Chamber of Commerce Award for Teaching; Pratt-Heins Award for Service; RMPA Distinguished Service Award, CNSS Research Mentoring Award. Added course in Science and Skepticism.
Robert Rycek 1983 - present
Interim Dean of CNSS and Professor of Psychology. Recipient of University of Nebraska Outstanding Teaching and Instructional Creativity Award; Pratt-Heins Award for Service; UNK Research Mentoring Award
Joseph Benz 1989 - present
Recipient of Honors Teacher of the Year Award. Added course in psychobiology with laboratory experience.
Kevin Byrd 1990 - 2001
Recipient of Research Mentoring Award. Added courses in clinical psychology, criminal behavior and the psychology of religion.
Theresa Wadkins 1990 - present
Department Chair Recipient of University of Nebraska Outstanding Teaching and Instructional Creativity Award; Recipient of Creative Teaching Award; Recipient of the CNSS Faculty Mentoring Award.
Richard Miller 1990 - present
Director IRB; Recipient of University of Nebraska Outstanding Teaching and Instructional Creativity Award; Pratt Heins Awards for Teaching and Scholarship, RMPA Distinguished Service Award; and Leland-Holdt Award
Wayne Briner 1992 - present
Director, Psychobiology Program; Recipient of Pratt-Heins Awards for Scholarship and Teaching. Added courses in neuroscience and psychopharmacology.
Krista Forrest 1997 - present
Krista Fritson 2003 - present
Jean Mandernach 2003 - presentAdjunct faculty.
905 West 25th Street, Kearney, NE 68849 | UNK Contact Information | UNK Site Map |
UNK is an ADA & Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity institution | Contact the firstname.lastname@example.org Report a Page Problem | Employment Opportunities | Download Adobe Acrobat Reader