The Library Instruction/Information Technology Services (LIITS) Computer Lab and Library Computer Lab - Lower Level (LCLLL) are hands-on, electronic classrooms funded by Student Technology fees. The LIITS Computer Lab, located on the first floor of Calvin T. Ryan Library, southwest corner, and the LCLLL, located on the lower level, east wall, both contain 23 workstations, with the capability to accommodate 2-3 users at many workstations. Both facilities are available all hours that the Library is open.
- 23 Dell PC's running Windows 7
- flat panel monitors
- easily accessible USB ports (located on monitors)
- CD or jump drive for data storage
- Software available to the students:
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Access, Project Manager, PowerPoint and more
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (Firefox accessible)
- UNK NetPrint
- Instructor workstations with NetSupport School Pro control software:
- Projection systems
- Smart classroom
All workstations have access to the UNK campus network, allowing use of the UNK Library Catalog, and the other electronic resources available through the library, as well as, the Internet. Four additional computers with large workspaces are available for group or individual use within the LIITS (main floor) computer lab.
The primary purpose of the LIITS Computer Lab is library instruction and instructional technology training for University of Nebraska at Kearney students, faculty, and staff. Priority use is instruction relating to library resources and instructional technology training - specifically requiring hands-on access to electronic resources.
Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate other single use academic, library, or computer training needs. Refer to Scheduling Procedures for information.
The Library Computer Lab - Lower Level may also be scheduled for instruction when it is a more convenient space, or if the LIITS Computer Lab is not available. When the Labs are not scheduled for instruction or training, they are available for walk-in use by UNK students, faculty and staff. We reserve the right to ask users for their current UNK identification card.
For reference assistance (e.g., research, information needs, or questions regarding library resources), students should inquire at the Reference Desk (1st floor, Library). The Librarians may not be able to provide support for technical computer questions (i.e., word processing, hardware or software questions, spreadsheets, etc.).
For help with technical computer questions, go to Otto Olsen -- The Information Technology Services Help Desk, ext. 8363. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. A direct telephone line to the Help Desk is available in the LIITS Computer Lab.
Information Technology Services holds workshops for students, staff and faculty in several locations including the LIITS Computer Lab and the Library Computer Lab - Lower Level. For more information on these technology training sessions, please email Jane Petersen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To schedule English 101/102 classes, contact Ron Wirtz, (email@example.com or 865-8592).
- To schedule discipline specific courses, see the list of Academic Department Liaison Librarians at http://www.unk.edu/uploadedFiles/academics/library/ref/Library%20Liasions.pdf and contact the librarian assigned to the appropriate department.
- To schedule library instruction in the use of Curriculum Materials Center or Teacher Education resources, contact Jennifer Harvey. (firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-8276).
- To schedule library instruction in the use of Nebraska or Federal Government Documents, contact Rochelle Krueger. (email@example.com or 865-8542).
For more on library instruction, see the information at http://www.unk.edu/acad/library/ref/index.php?id=2867.
- All other instructional use of the Library labs must be scheduled in ADVANCE. Contact Ron Wirtz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-8592 or Library Services Associate at 865-8591.
- All sessions are to be taught during times that the Library is open. Use at other times is at the discretion of the Dean of the Library.
- All requests for installation of software applications must be scheduled at least one week in advance with the Coordinator of Library Services, Ron Wirtz, at 865- 8592.
1. The LIITS Computer Lab and Library Computer Lab - Lower Level are intended for the use of UNK students, faculty and staff. Users may be required to show a current UNK identification card.
2. Absolutely no food or drink.
3. No application software may be altered, added, or removed from the computers without approval and assistance from the Coordinator of Library Services.
4. Printing is to the library-networked printers.
5. The instructor workstation and projection equipment are not available for student use.
6. The instruction schedules for the rooms will be posted next to the entrances.
Please vacate the room at least 15 minutes before a class session begins.
Guidelines for the Use of Computing Resources at UNK are posted in the rooms; The University of Nebraska Policy for Responsible Use of University Computers and Information Systems (10/27/99) applies to both the LIITS Computer Lab and the LCLLL. These policies are available on the UNK web site at ITS Policies Home. Failure to comply with the above rules could result in temporary or permanent expulsion from the LIITS Computer Lab and the Library Computer Lab - Lower Level.