An entrance audition is required of all prospective music majors. Scholarships are available, and are determined based on the audition. Scholarships available to music majors (and minors) include:
- Regents Scholarships
- Chancellor's Scholarships
- Honors Scholarships
- Horizon Honors Program Scholarship
- Dean's Scholarships
- Lavern Clark Scholarships
- Mary Elaine Wallace House Scholarships
- Thornton String Quartet Scholarships
- Carol Cope Scholarship
- Gary & Roma Thomas Scholarship
- Baldwin String Scholarship
- Frances Larson Ehly Scholarship
- Friends of Music Scholarships
- Kearney Symphony Orchestra Scholarship
- Bill Lynn Scholarships
- E. Evelyn Peterson Scholarship
- Shirley Walker Scholarship
- E. Roy Blazer Scholarship
- Kearney Cosmopolitan Club Scholarship
- Special Activity Grants
- Out-of-State Tuition Waivers
Students should prepare two pieces (songs) of contrasting style to perform for the music faculty; an additional exam in sight-reading will be administered. An audio cassette, CD or DVD may be submitted for admittance to any program in lieu of a live audition in circumstances when a live audition is not possible. Students who wish to be considered for scholarship are strongly encouraged to appear in person to audition. Prospective students should apply for admission to U.N.K. before performing an audition.
All students planning to major or minor in music must complete admission requirements as determined by the Department of Music and Performing Arts. Application for admission including audition must be submitted prior to enrollment. Music majors and minor must choose an area of applied music and meet the proficiency standards of the Department for admission and graduation. All new students will audition to determine their performance level. Refer to "Application Forms & Procedures" below for specific audition literature requirements. All incoming students including transfer students will also take placement test in the areas of theory, ear-training, sight singing, piano skills, and performance.
2014 Audition Schedule:Click here for Online Application Forms
- Friday, January 17, U.N.K.
- Friday, February 7, U.N.K.
- Saturday, February 8, U.N.K.
- Friday, February 21, U.N.K.
- Saturday, February 22, U.N.K.
For Additional Information, Contact:
- University of Nebraska-Kearney
Music & Dance Office
Department of Music & Performing Arts
attn: Jane Jameson (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fine Arts & Humanities 221
Kearney, NE 68849
- Office of Admissions