Staff Senate Minutes - May 20, 2003
Employee of the Month: Mary Daake, Director, Academic Advising
Directors -- Kauders, Livingston, Roggasch
Managerial/Professional -- Bressington, Newton
Office -- Clark, Larson
Service -- Hasbrouck, Lange
Ex Officio: Lakey
Absent: Kucera, Ellingson, Willis
- Call to order
- Adoption of Agenda - Amended Agenda approved.
- Introductions, Correspondence, and Minutes of 4/15/03 approved.
- Unfinished Business - None
- Committee & Search Reports
- Election Committee – None
- Employee Recognition Committee
Michelle reminded everyone to attend the Loper luncheon on May 29 at 11:45 a.m. in URS. The UNK coaching staff will be recognized with awards for their outstanding seasons. Nominations for the SAFE Award should be submitted by June 30th. The UNK picnic is scheduled for July 1.
- Performance Management Committee - No report
- Procedures Committee - No report
- Professional Development Committee - No report
- Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee - John Lakey reported that $70.48 was collected from the can drive.
- Making a Difference Subcommittee - Cheryl Bressington sent out a short e-mail reminding everyone that Making a Difference Day is scheduled for October 21.
- Mentoring Subcommittee - No report
- Information Technology Advisory Committee - No report
- Strategic Planning – No report
- Centennial Committee – Kathy Livingston reported the committee is working on activities for fall, an ice cream social is planned for September, banners will be placed on campus in the fall, and a golf tournament is planned in September as a fundraiser.
- North Central Steering Committee - Kathy indicated the committee would meet today to draft chapters for comments in the fall.
- New Business
- Anita Kucera and Kathy Livingston were elected as representatives to the Professional Conduct Committee.
- Michelle Roggasch distributed and reviewed the information on “What It Means to be a Member of Staff Senate.”
- The rest of the meeting was spent brainstorming Staff Senate priorities: The following ideas were discussed.
- Establish new process procedures for Department of the Month
- Recognize KUDOS at Retirement Lunch
- FREE Lunch – July 1
- Pay Equity – Univ. pay families
- Get people to Senate events
- Do we offer too many?
- Do we offer not enough?
- Service employee need?
- Voted to continue the SAFE AWARD with a $1,000 cash award
- Survey campus for Senate needs?
- Forums for “hot topics”
- Electronic – issues & suggestions minutes reflect how addressed …….
- Let’s Have Lunch… w/Chancellor
- Maybe not just lunch …. On job…. (coffee break) something w/Chancellor
- Keep abreast - budget crisis
- Reduction in force……
- Better representation of staff at Fall Convention - shut down offices
- Restructuring of Fall Convocation
- Automatic KUDO for Employee of the Month
- Recognition of KUDO… PR when they give one…..
- Ways to stimulate # of nominations for Department of the Month and Employee of the Month
- Ice Cream Socials
- Coffee breaks – sponsors
- Electronic nominations/voting
- Fund Raising Sell Shirts – contest to design logo
- Scholarship or Employee – books, professional development
- Push tuition remission
- Operating Budget……
- ballots/election – copies
- coffee breaks
- Employee of the Month, Department of the Month
- Making a Difference Day – Speaker
- Annual Report
- Mentoring Certificates
- Door Prizes
- Staff Appreciation
- Inclusive – get them invited
- Monetary Award
- “Shut Down” on different things
- Recognize “Days” – i.e. Office/Admin., Bosses, Facilities, Birthdays, Anniversary Dates (Senate send cards)
Following discussion and ranking the priorities, Staff Senate Executive Committee to propose and submit a 2003-2004 budget for Staff Senate to the Chancellor, co-sponsor the UNK picnic on July 1, and schedule a Brown Bag Chat Lunch with the Chancellor. The lunch is open to everyone and staff are encouraged to ask any questions regarding UNK.
- Names were proposed for 2003-2004 Staff Senate Committees.
- Employee Recognition Committee -- Anita Kucera, Chair Kathy Livingston Dusty Newton Jeffie Wiggins Diana Kircher Jim Lange Bonnie Mumm Judy Balcom Michelle Roggasch
- Election Committee -- Dixie Larson, Chair Rochelle Krueger Dusty Newton Michelle Roggasch
- Procedures -- Rochelle Kruger, Chair Jan Mitchell Billy Rayburn Michelle Roggasch Cheryl Bressington
- Office/Service Dependent Schol. -- Mary Heater, Chair Jan Mitchell Billy Rayburn Rochelle Krueger Dixie Larson Michelle Roggasch
- Performance Management -- Dusty Newton Jeffie Wiggins Rochelle Krueger Audrey Kauders
- Professional Development -- Dee Ellingson, Chair Audrey Kauders Vicky Hasbrouk Linda Clark Cheryl Bressington Anita Kucera Glenda Wilson Clayton Willis Dianne Holcomb Jeffie Wiggins
- Mentoring -- Dee Ellingson, Chair Linda Clark Cheryl Bressington Brandon Benitz Joni Weed Stacey Darveau Karen Brookens Bonnie Mumm Jeffie Wiggins Rochelle Krueger
- Making a Difference -- Cheryl Bressington, Chair Dixie Larson Dee Ellingson Gayle Rawlings Glenda Wilson
Michelle will send out committee appointments via e-mail to the UNK campus.
- Next meeting 10:30 a.m, June 17, 2003, E101, West Center Building
- The meeting adjourned at 12:10 p.m.