Vancouver Writing Contest
WIN AN ALL-EXPENSE PAID
The Vancouver Writing Contest is sponsored by the Office of Study Abroad
TRIP TO VANCOUVER, CANADA
OVER SPRING BREAK!
- Only UNK First-year Freshmen are eligible. Ten students will be chosen for an all-expense paid trip to Vancouver for 7 days.
- Choosing from study abroad programs listed on the UNK Office of Study Abroad Website (http://www.unk.edu/international/study_abroad/index.php), write a short essay on the topic, "Where I want to study abroad during my Sophomore or Junior year at UNK and Why?
- Submit your essay as a Word document via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 3rd Friday in November.
- Vancouver, Canada!
- Vancouver has been voted the world's most livable city because of its awesome seaside beauty, mild climate, mountainous landscapes and diverse mixture of cultures. The UNK travel group will explore all of these features in an adventure packed 6-day learning experience. See more at Vancouver Tourism.
- The top 10 winners will be offered an all-expense paid trip to Vancouver, with several alternates chosen in case of dropouts.
Papers must answer at least three of the following questions:
- What historical facts pertaining to your chosen destination do you find most interesting and why?
- What ties do you have to your chosen destination and how did this influence your choice?
- How do you hope that international travel will benefit your future?
- Why do you think global awareness is important?
- Essays must be typed and double-spaced.
- Name and UNK email prefix should be placed in the upper right corner
- Use 1" margins
- Use 12 pt. Times New Roman font
- Save your document in MS Word format
- Essays must be 250-500 words. Essays over 500 words will not be accepted.
- Essays containing uncited text from published sources will be disqualified.
- Winners found to have submitted plagiarized essays will be disqualified.
How Winners will be Chosen
- A selection committee of UNK faculty and International Education professionals will read and rank the papers according to how persuasively students address the essay questions, the quality of the information offered to justify their position, as well as organization, spelling and grammar. Winners will be announced before the 2nd Friday in December.
- Contact Ann Marie Park (email@example.com), the Coordinator of Study Abroad Programs, to address any questions or concerns about the Vancouver Writing Contest.