What to do Check List
You will find this information useful now as well as later. Print this out and keep it in a convenient place where you can refer to it as needed. If you have any questions, please ask the staff at International Student Services (ISS). Our office, located in Welch Hall on West Campus, is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Click here to see the UNK Campus map.
The following items require your immediate attention:
- Immigration Forms and Check In – Complete the International Student Information Sheet and present your SEVIS I-20, Form DS-2019, Form I-94, and passport to ISS for processing.
- Open Registration – Scheduled for the Friday before classes start and continuing through the first week of classes. Follow the instructions in the class schedule. The office of Student Records and Registration (Founder’s Hall) and the office of Academic Advising (Memorial Student Life Building) will provide help with registration. Please let us know if you have any problems registering for classes. You will need your eight-digit student identification number (NUID) to register. When registering, you will be asked to enter a 4-digit PIN (personal identification number) of your choice.
- Photo ID – The ID card office is located in the Nebraskan Student Union, lower level near the front desk. You can obtain you UNK photo ID from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
You must show a valid driver's license, a government-issued I.D., a military I.D., or a passport in order to obtain a UNK Card. The document must contain a photograph. The name that appears on the document must match the name that is on your student record.
You must appear in person to obtain your identification card. We will issue the card only to you and no one else. UNK Cards are not sent through campus mail.
You cannot obtain your UNK ID card until you have completed your Check In process in Welch Hall.
- Housing Arrangements – If you plan to live in student residence halls, go to the Residence and Greek Life office, located in Conrad Hall, to sign your contract. As soon as you are assigned a room and email address, report your local address, telephone number and email address to the Office of International Student Services AND on WebEasi (or at the Registrar's Office) no later than five days after your arrival, as mandated by federal regulations.
- Academic Advising – Obtain the name of your academic advisor in your major area of study from the Academic Advising Office located in the Memorial Student Affairs Building, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Make an appointment with your advisor as soon as possible or preferably before registering for classes.
- Health Form - Take the Student Health Form (yellow sheet) to Student Health Services in the Memorial Student Affairs Building, northwest entrance. You will not be allowed to register for your second semester without an immunization record on file.
- School Catalogs – Undergraduate catalogs are available at the Admissions Office, Memorial Student Affairs Building, Room 111. Graduate catalogs can be picked up at the Graduate Office, Room #2131, 2nd floor, in Founders Hall.
- Health Insurance Waiver – If you already have health insurance, you must fill out an insurance waiver form, available at ISS reception area. You must also provide a copy of your health insurance policy in English and U.S. dollars for review of coverage. Your waiver application must be returned the first week of classes. Late waivers will absolutely not be accepted. You will be charged automatically for the health insurance plan offered by UNK if you do not have a waiver at the end of the first week of classes.
- Social Security Number – ISS personnel will arrange one or two opportunities to travel to the Social Security Office located in Grand Island, 45 miles east of Kearney, approximately 2-3 weeks after the start of the semester. Please watch for announcements about this opportunity. Please Review the Social Security requirements and application process, Click here!
- Parking Permits – If you own a car, you need to obtain a parking permit. Permits are available at the Finance Office, Founders Hall, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Please feel free to come to the Office of International Student Services (ISS) if you have adjustment difficulties or questions. We are here to help you.
Location and Office Hours
2504 19th Avenue
Kearney, NE 68849-5221
Monday - Friday
Office open: 8 am - 5 pm
Phone Hours: 8 am - 5 pm
Walk-in Advising hours: 8 am - 4:30 pm
Telephone: (308) 865-8953 Fax:( 308) 865-8947