SEVIS Regulation for Distance Classes
For F‑1 students enrolled in classes for credit or classroom hours, no more than one class or three credit hours per semester may be counted toward the full course of study requirement if the class is taken on‑line, web based or through distance education and does not require the student's physical attendance for classes, examinations or other purposes integral to completion of the class. A full course of study at UNK is 12 credits for undergraduates, 9 credits for graduates and 6 credits for graduate assistants.
Exemption of Regulation
Departments that are taught via on‑line using web based or telecommunications presentations can fulfill the physical attendance requirement for international students if they do the following:
1. In the course syllabus, every instructor in an on‑line course must include an alert to F‑1 students about the new SEVIS on‑line rule.
2. All F‑1 students who need "physical attendance" activities on campus in order to avoid violating the SEVIS rule must notify the instructor within the first week of the class that he or she needs an on‑campus activity. The student will notify the instructor by completing and submitting an on‑line waiver form available at the Office of International Student Services.
3. On the form the instructor will describe in detail the on‑campus activities in which the student will participate.
4. The instructor will keep a copy of this form for his or her records and the original will be sent to the Office of International Student Services by the end of the first week of classes for insertion into the student's permanent immigration file.
5. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that he or she stays in status with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services by taking a full course of study every semester as required by law.
To download the International Student waiver for on-line/distance education courses, Click here
Location and Office Hours
2504 19th Avenue
Kearney, NE 68849-5221
Monday - Friday
Office open: 8 am - 5 pm
Phone Hours: 8 am - 5 pm
Walk-in Advising hours: 8 am - 4:30 pm
Telephone: (308) 865-8953 Fax:( 308) 865-8947