F-1 On Campus Employment

At UNK, on-campus employment refers to work for the purpose of earning money for school or personal reasons.

On-Campus Employment

Employment for F-1 students may be divided into three types:

  1. Work on school premises, employed by the I-20 issuing institution
    1. The Library
    2. Dining Services
  2. Work on school premises, employed by on-campus commercial firms
    1. Restaurants on campus that are not managed by Chartwell’s
    2. Other stores located on campus such as Boost Market
  3. 3. Work done at off-campus locations, but treated as on-campus
    1. Campus Bookstore
    2. Contractually funded research projects

All on-campus work authorized must be limited to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. During class breaks, up to 40 hours per week is allowed.

Work Study jobs are not authorized for F-1 or J-1 students.

Procedure to Apply

F-1 Students do not require permission from a DSO to accept on campus employment. However, once a position is accepted, the following procedure must be followed in a timely manner:


1. You MUST FIRST be hired by an on-campus employer (such as UNK Dining Service, UNK Library, Antelope Book Store.)

2. Obtain a letter from the department or employer explaining what your position will be. The letter MUST INCLUDE the employer’s federal ID number and be on official letterhead paper.

3. Obtain a letter from a DSO in Welch Hall

4. You will need to take ALL of the following items to the SSA office in Grand Island:

  • Letter from on-campus employer
  • Letter from ISS advisor
  • SSA application form
  • Copy of I-94 card downloaded from: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/
  • I-20 (F-1 students) or DS-2019 (J-1 students)
  • Valid passport
  • Visa
  • One photo ID that is at least one year old (could be passport or student ID from home institution.)

5. Ask for a receipt from the Social Security Administration. (from SS website: “While you wait for your Social Security number, your employer can use a letter from us stating that you applied for a number. Your employer may use your immigration documents as proof of your authorization to work in the United States. Employers can find more information on the Internet at http://www.ssa.gov/employer/) However, UNK Dining Services does not accept the receipt because your background check must be processed – you must wait for your card.

Social Security Administration Office
115 North Webb Road, Suite 1
Grand Island, NE 68803
Open Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Phone: 877.407.3441
Toll Free: 1.800.772.1213