Know the Difference
Severe Thunderstorm Watch—Severe thunderstorms are possible in and
near the watch area. Stay informed and be ready to act if a severe thunderstorm
warning is issued.
Severe Thunderstorm Warning—Severe weather has been reported by
spotters or indicated by radar.Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and
Red Cross Thunderstorm Guidelines
- Know what type of warning system will be used
- Know a safe area to gather away from windows or glass doors
- Put together an emergency preparedness kit for thunderstorms (water, food, a flashlight, batteries, sanitation/hygiene items, etc.)
During a storm...
- Listen to a forecasting radio program
- Take shelter in a safe location
- Try to avoid using electrical items, bathing, or showering
- If thunder can be heard, head indoors
After the storm...
- Do not drive on flooded roadways
- No not put yourself at risk by entering storm-damaged areas
- Listen to the radio/television for updated information
- Stay away from downed power lines