Kearney is in a location that is apt to have large amounts of snow and/or ice. It is important to stay updated with weather updates to be prepared for possible winter weather emergencies.
Be aware of snow routes - do not park in these areas when there is a chance of excessive snowfall or snow emergency.
- Check Kearney snow routes here
Quick tips for snowy weather:
- make sure you have a shovel and/or ice pick if you need to clear sidewalks, driveways, etc.
- ensure there is a snow brush and ice scraper in your vehicle
- shop ahead - if you know there will be a storm stock up beforehand to avoid unnecessary travel
- snow can quickly turn to slush on the roads that can be deceiving - and still slippery!
- the same slush can freeze overnight or in cold temperatures, creating icy conditions
- make sure you and your car care prepared properly
- if you must travel, give plows enough room to operate safely
UNK policy on snow removal lots and snow emergency regulations:
There will be NO PARKING allowed in Commuter (yellow) only lots from midnight to 6:00 a.m., November 1st to April 1st.
In the event of snow during a time in which parking is allowed, a
SNOW EMERGENCY will be declared, at which time there will be NO PARKING
in Commuter (yellow), or Employee (blue). Signs may be posted and
Residence Halls will be notified if possible. It will be the
responsibility of the owner of the vehicle to watch weather conditions
and take appropriate steps.
Snow Removal Lots will be enforced during all breaks.
Nebraska Department of Roads
Red Cross tips on how to prepare for snow