Degree: Master of Science in Education
Program: Science/Math Education Program
Degree Level: Graduate
Credit Hours: 36 credit hours
Delivery Format: Online
Prerequisites: Bachelor’s Degree with an endorsement in Biology, Math, Chemistry, Physics or Physical Science with a standard Teaching Certificate
The Master's of Science in Education: Science/Math Education is a 36 credit hour program designed for Science and Math teachers in grades 7 through 12 who are interested in becoming better teachers. Students may choose their 12 credit hour major emphasis from either Biology, Chemistry, Math or Physical Science/Physics. All coursework is available online and includes both content and pedagogy.
Basic computer literacy is required to succeed as an online student. To decide if online learning is for you, click on http://www.unk.edu/acad/continuing_ed/ecampus/index.php?id=4788. To determine if you have the minimum hardware and software needed, log on to http://www.unk.edu/acad/continuing_ed/students/index.php?id=6213.
A. Professional Components (9 hours required)
1. Curriculum Course (3 hours)
- BIOL 876 Natural Science Curriculum - 3 hours
2. Research Course (3 hours)
- TE 800 Educational Research - 3 hours
3. Pedagogy Course (3 hours) Take 1 course from:
- TE 804 Curriculum Development in Multicultural Education - 3 hours
- TE 807P Multiple Intelligences: Theories Into Practice - 3 hours
- TE 812P Alternative Assessments of Student Performance: Theory Into Practice - 3 hours
- TE 886P Technology Tools for Teachers - 3 hours
B. Academic Components (27 required)
1. Major Emphasis (12 hours)
- 12 hours in an area of endorsement (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Physical Science)
2. Supporting Courses (9 hours)
- A minimum of 9 hours in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Mathematics, Physics, or Physical Science outside the major emphasis. Courses must be taken in at least two disciplines. These courses will be selected to meet student needs as indicated by previous course work and teaching duties.
3. Electives (6 hours)
- Approved by the advisor prior to enrollment by the student
For more information about the Master of Science in Education Distance Degree click here.
Reasons for choosing UNK, click here.
For tuitions rates, click here.
Contact: Dr. Christopher Exstrom
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Bruner Hall of Science, Room 405D, UNK, Kearney, NE 68849