Staff Senate Minutes
University of Nebraska at Kearney
November 18, 2008,10:30 a.m.
Sandhills Room, Nebraska Student Union
Present: Administrative: Ballenger, Kauders, McQueen
Managerial/Professional: Schaffnitt, Benitz, Petersen
Service: Geiger, Lester
Office: Williams, Wardyn, Meier
Visitors: Joni Weed and Dee Ellingson
Recognition of Employee of the Month
Assistant Director for Academic Success
Recognition of Department of the Month
HPERLS Facility Staff
The Chancellor spoke to the senate about what he considers the major issues of UNK today. The search for Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs & Student Life is in limbo right now. The Dean of NSS position is open but also on hold.
Jerry Fox, Director of International Education has retired and the search is on hold until Dr. Murray’s position is filled. TheUNK plan for the future is to look forward. There is the Residential Renewal Process, which is crucial for us to remain competitive. The company of Noel-Levitz is providing a service to UNK of Strategic Enrollment Consulting with a Retention Plan which will take place over many months. The University is also in process of obtaining the Folletts book store property.
I. Call to Order-
II. Adoption of Agenda- approved
III. Approval of Minutes – from the October 21st minutes
IV. Open Floor – Staff members are welcome to have open discussion with Senate
V. Financial Report – No Report
VI. Correspondence – None
VII. Unfinished Business
A. Staff Senate Goals for 2008
1. Mentors for new Senators/new officers
2. Develop campus awareness of University Online Calendar – on going
3. Staff Senate Awareness – how can we be more well known
B. Staff Senate Survey – February is still goal for Opinio
C. Revaluating Staff Senate Mission/Goals – Joni and Dee are here to discuss this today.
VIII. Committee Reports
A. Election Committee – No Report
B. Employee Recognition Committee – Joni Weed reported that finding Departments of the Month is difficult. The Committee will meet again February 5, 2009.
C. Performance Management Committee – No Report.
D. Procedures Committee – No Report.
E. Professional Development Committee – Cheryl Bressington brought up combining Mentoring and Professional Development.
F. Mentoring Committee – Dee Ellingson reported that they always need more mentors, especially from other areas than facilities.
G. Office/Service Dependent Scholarship Committee – No Report.
H. Information Technology Advisory Committee – No Report.
I. Strategic Planning Committee – No Report.
IX. New Business
A. Staff Recognition Day – January 8, 2009 from 9-10 am
B. 2009 Family Day/Homecoming dates – October 3, 2009 is Family Day and Homecoming is the week of October 12th, 2009.
C. 2009 Blue & Gold Dates – August 20th will be move in day.
D. Treat Box Volunteers/Sign up sheet- passed around.
E. Staff Senate Website/Newsletter Volunteers – Schaffnitt, Williams, Petersen and Ballanger volunteered.
X. Staff Senate Roundtable – Staff members update the Senate on events happening in their offices/departments.
1. Geiger- The furniture in Mantor is to be removed as soon as possible. CTW roof is halfway done, weather has been an issue. December 15th looks for both CTW & CTE roofing to be done.
2. Schaffnitt – Planning for next year.
5. KrisAnn – Frank House December events.
6. Kauders - Mona is part of the art project for BHS, they have 124 applications so far.
7. Lester – The remodel of OMA is going on and there is a career fair today in the Union.
8. Ballanger – The Columns committee will be meeting today and they need articles and feedback. She asked if Staff Senate could control our meeting time by starting earlier.
9. McQueen – Roofing at COE and Frank House is continuing and the fencing around campus is almost gone. Replacement of trees lost in storms will begin the first of next week.
a. Staff Senate is always seeking nominations for Employee and Department of the Month! All nomination forms are available on-line on the Staff Senate webpage
b. Anyone in the UNK community is encouraged to attend Staff Senate meetings
c. Next Meeting – December 16th @ 10:30 a.m. in the Sandhills Room in the Nebraskan Student Union.
d. Guest speaker –?